The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache problems

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by bliz42, Jul 9, 2002.

1. bliz42

bliz42 Member

apache on my system segfaults on every page request ***if*** I include mod_perl in the buildapache options.

In fact, it's not just buildapache, it's anytime (I tried using apachetoolbox and by hand as well) mod_perl is built static instead of a dso... if it's built static with the web server, nothing but segfault on every page request.

Build it as dso, and setting a PerlRestartHandler doesn't function at all, even though mod_perl was built with support for it.

In addition to that, I'm having a problem on my server with apache just continually growing until I run out of swap space and the machine needs rebooting. Anyone else experienced this?

I have written a temp fix for the continuously growing (memory usage) problem with a script that checks the memory usage of apache and when it's over 200MB on my server, it stops apache and restarts it. I have the apache memory usage limit set to 75MB, but it apparently ignores this, and I haven't seen this type of memory limit argument anywhere but my cpanel/buildapache install, so I don't know if it's specific to that install or what.. but anyhow.

Regardless, I've got problems all around. Luckily my temp fix will keep me up enough that customers won't bve upset, but I really need to find the source of my problems. Anyone have any experience with these types of problems?

RedHat 7.2 system with all updates. Reproducable with various kernels, and various versions of apache that I have installed. Where else could the problem be?

bliz

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

[quote:d0b02c83a2][i:d0b02c83a2]Originally posted by bliz42[/i:d0b02c83a2]

apache on my system segfaults on every page request ***if*** I include mod_perl in the buildapache options.

In fact, it's not just buildapache, it's anytime (I tried using apachetoolbox and by hand as well) mod_perl is built static instead of a dso... if it's built static with the web server, nothing but segfault on every page request.

Build it as dso, and setting a PerlRestartHandler doesn't function at all, even though mod_perl was built with support for it.

In addition to that, I'm having a problem on my server with apache just continually growing until I run out of swap space and the machine needs rebooting. Anyone else experienced this?

I have written a temp fix for the continuously growing (memory usage) problem with a script that checks the memory usage of apache and when it's over 200MB on my server, it stops apache and restarts it. I have the apache memory usage limit set to 75MB, but it apparently ignores this, and I haven't seen this type of memory limit argument anywhere but my cpanel/buildapache install, so I don't know if it's specific to that install or what.. but anyhow.

Regardless, I've got problems all around. Luckily my temp fix will keep me up enough that customers won't bve upset, but I really need to find the source of my problems. Anyone have any experience with these types of problems?

RedHat 7.2 system with all updates. Reproducable with various kernels, and various versions of apache that I have installed. Where else could the problem be?

bliz[/quote:d0b02c83a2]

Do you experience this problem with mod_perl not compiled. You should recompile apache without mod_perl.

3. bliz42

bliz42 Member

mod_perl

unfortunately, mod_perl is a requirement I have.

I did trace the problem to mod_perl, and the fact that is was compiled as dso, but any time I compiled it as static, it would just seg fault all day long.

I don't know what I did different, but the last time I recompiled everything by hand, adding one module at a time and testing it... it worked. mod_perl and php both compiled in there static, and added the others (including the mod_bwlimited and mod_log_bytes and grabbed mod_frontpage 1.6.1 from the net....).

It's all up and running now, but I'm not looking forward to a time when I need to upgrade apache. : )

4. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

The Mod_Perl/CPanel battle has been going on for a while. They need to get this fixed and stable sometime soon.

5. snowgod

snowgod Well-Known Member

For the record, mod_perl doesn't play nice with others in general.

I've had endless issues with it inside AND outside of cpanel.

6. Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi Well-Known Member

I seem to have mod_perl working as a DSO with mod_php/mod_gzip. Sean did the easyapache upgrade on my server (I host at OChosting), then I loaded apache-asp.sea which adds mod_perl support.

No segfaults so far. :)

7. bliz42

bliz42 Member

heh

Yes.. with that version of hte install route, don't ask me why but my apache process was growing.. and growing.. and growing.. until I ran out of swap space at which time a reboot was required... ; )

bliz

8. Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi Well-Known Member

I'll keep an eye on my Apache processes, in that case. :)

9. bert

bert Well-Known Member

bliz,

Did you find a solution for your memory problem? We have the exact same problem on one of our servers. Apache processes grow and grow to the point of eating up all the available swap until the server crashes. It is a slow process, it can take up to 5 to 7 days for the whole swap to be used, but it is certainly not normal. I thought this was memory and replaced the memory on the machine completely. We have 5 other identical servers with the exact same configuration/hardware/software and are not experiencing the same problem.

This server now has 1 Gig of RAM, dual PIII 1Ghz, dual SCSI and only 240 accounts, but yet apache will eat up all the available memory and will then crave for swap.

Any thoughts?

10. bliz42

bliz42 Member

swap overload

I was able to fix the problem with a custom copy of apache... the problem was related to the way mod_perl was tied to apache on that server. Like you, I have had other servers with that same configuraiton and build type that did not experience the problem, so I cannot specifically tell you the problem. If you do not use mod_perl, just get rid of it, and your problems should be solved. If you do use it, you will need to build a custom copy of apache with all the modules that you need in it.

11. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Thanks for your prompt response. I do not use mod_perl on this machine and it is not compiled with it. I do have mod_perl running on other machines without a single problem.

You've got to love this stuff :p

12. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get mod_perl working with the cpanel buildapache, am I missing something? I selected Advanced and in the menu system and selected mod_perl.

Off it goes to compile, but when complete altho Apache works fine it doesnt seem to be using mod_perl - is there something I need to do in order to activate it?

Thanks
    Andy

13. cass

cass Well-Known Member

hey, you can install apache-asp, as far as I know, it installs mod_perl also :)

hope it helps.

Regards.

14. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

We have mod_perl running flawlessly on our server. Never a problem or a hiccup. What are we running?

[Thu Oct 24 18:51:44 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) DAV/1.0.3 mod_perl/1.26 mod_log_bytes/0.3 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.2.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

15. cass

cass Well-Known Member

I usually installs easyapache and then the apache-asp ...
    but sometimes when I'm updating apache...
    I get my disk (/usr/local/apache dir) FULL of core.#### dumps...
    when I say full ... is FULL ... Mb and even Gb's of core dumps...
    that fills my disk...
    so I need to rm -rf core.* every few seconds just to make sure the update will be done correctly ....

anyone with same problem?

Regards/.