The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Proxy for Ruby/Unicorn on CPanel System

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by itsybitsyspider, Dec 6, 2011.

1. itsybitsyspider

itsybitsyspider Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

I'm on my 2nd day with CPanel. Lovin it so far. I want to start a small hosting service but that's beyond the scope of my post.

For now, I want to install Ruby using RVM in a user directory that will be created as a CPanel account (install it locally, on a user level; not on a system level). I want to run Unicorn (a Ruby application server) and have Apache act as a proxy. Unicorn will run on some port (eg. 3001) and I simply want to do what is usually done in an Apache Virtual Host as:

ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:3001
    Anyway, I'm tempted to just open the virtual hosts file and add my directive but as per my understanding it's best not to mess with any of the system files on a CPanel system. So my question is: What is the proper CPanel way to add ProxyPass to a virtual host and is there anything unexpected that might happen if I set it up this way?

(I *do not* want Ruby installed system-wide or for use by others, just for this one account -- which I own and control -- so the CPanel specific implementation does not interest me.)

Thanks!

2. itsybitsyspider

itsybitsyspider Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator