Apache Reverse Proxy on Centos 6 cPanel?

Magezi Sagesse

Registered
Nov 24, 2017
Uganda
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
My server (VPS) is running centos 6 and apache 2.3 web server , I want to configure SSL Terminating Reverse Proxy (phusionpassenger.com/library/deploy/standalone/proxy_ssl.html Using an SSL terminating reverse proxy with Passenger Standalone - Passenger Library) on my cpanel account domain. I got SSL certificate installed already on the domain using whm but what I need is to configure the reverse proxy as given in this example :
Code:
SSLStrictSNIVHostCheck off
<VirtualHost *:80>
   Redirect permanent / www.example.com
   ServerName example.com
   ServerAlias www.example.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
   ServerName www.example.com

ProxyPreserveHost On
   ProxyPass / http://localhost:3000/
   ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:3000/

SSLEngine on
   SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3
   SSLHonorCipherOrder on
   SSLCipherSuite ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-SHA256:AES256-SHA256:AES128-SHA:AES256-SHA:DES-CBC3-SHA:!DSS
   SSLCertificateFile "/private/etc/apache2/server.crt"
   SSLCertificateKeyFile "/private/etc/apache2/server.key"
   SSLCompression off # not always present

Header always edit Set-Cookie ^(.*)$ $1;HttpOnly;Secure
   Header always set Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains"

ServerSignature Off
</VirtualHost>
I don't know where I should do that and how since with the cpanel and whm the apache configuration file should not be modified manually to avoid being wiped out when it get auto generated by the cpanel program.

I also thought of going to check if there is a place for that configuration in /var/cpanel/userdata/cpaneluser/domain.com_SSL but I found:

Code:
---
documentroot: /home/domain/public_html
group: domain
hascgi: 1
homedir: /home/domain
ip: 192.168.53.12
ipv6: ~
owner: root
phpopenbasedirprotect: ~
port: 443
secruleengineoff: ~
serveradmin: [EMAIL][email protected][/EMAIL]
serveralias: mail.domain.com www.domain.com
servername: domain.com
ssl: 1
usecanonicalname: 'Off'
user: cpaneluser
userdirprotect: ''
and in /var/cpanel/userdata/cpaneluser/domain.com found:

Code:
---
customlog:
  -
   format: combined
   target: /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.com
  -
   format: "\"%{%s}t %I .\\n%{%s}t %O .\""
   target: /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.com-bytes_log
documentroot: /home/domain/public_html
group: domain
hascgi: 1
homedir: /home/domain
ip: 192.168.53.12
owner: root
phpopenbasedirprotect: 1
port: 80
scriptalias:
  -
   path: /home/domain/public_html/cgi-bin
   url: /cgi-bin/
serveradmin: [email protected]
serveralias: mail.domain.com www.domain.com
servername: domain.com
usecanonicalname: 'Off'
user: cpaneluser
I couldn't understand almost everything in those configuration files which makes hard for me to adapt them according to the reverse proxy configuration I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I don't know where I should do that and how since with the cpanel and whm the apache configuration file should not be modified manually to avoid being wiped out when it get auto generated by the cpanel program.
Hello,

We document how to make custom changes to the Apache configuration at:

Advanced Apache Configuration - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Additionally, if the changes are within the virtual host entries, we document how to customize them at:

Modify Apache Virtual Hosts with Include Files - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.