The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Security/Version Table is mising!!!

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by latpanel, Nov 9, 2004.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

When I click "cpanel/whm news" in WHM the table Apache Security/Version Table shows just Apache latest version, but it doesn't show anymore, where is the table? How can I restore it?

Thanks

2. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Have you modified the Apache configuration in any way to reduce the amount of information it sends out (such as changing, IIRC, ServerTokens to ProductOnly)?

3. latpanel

Yes, I put server tokens to Product Only. (And I have mod security also). I don't like anybody know about the server and version I have running (because of security at level of paranoia).
    If it doesn't appears info about the rest of installed modules, must I suposse that this config set blocks all the info showed in Version Table?

And, the most important, will WHM show security updates alerts?

Thanks

4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Basically, the news page is actually a page hosted on cpanel.net's webservers which fetches the root page from your server. It then breaks up the header information and compares the version numbers given against the ones cpanel.net hold as the "latest" ones. Therefore, if you block everybody from reading the version numbers, cpanel.net can't fetch details of which modules you are running and can't produce the appropriate messages.

Apache related security warnings will probably also not work, but CPanel/WHM specific warnings will continue (as the version number of cPanel you are running is contained in the request your browser sends to Cpanel when trying to show the news page)

5. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Yep... he's right, I tested it and turned Apache back to telling everyone about itself, and the version and module tables worked then.

I just deal with it and keep up to date on the updates.
    FYI: Apache related security warnings... or module warning, wil NOT work! Since it can't read any of the version numbers... you'll have to stay on top of the new releases manually. The recent Apache 1.3.32 and mod_ssl warnings didn't show up at all for me until I turned off the ProductOnly flag.

6. WebzPro

WebzPro Active Member

Hate to bring up such an old thread but if someone could be so kind as to tell me exactly how to turn this feature - cPanel/whm news - off and on? Not sure of what the correct commands would be.

7. latpanel

As you can read in related posts, if yout modify the info that server gives about it the page about versions an do is not shown. So you must allow server ti give some info about it. That's in server httpd.conf make sure that ServerToken is properly set:

ServerTokens Full

Regards

8. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

I have this problem too but only if i browse with IE.

I can see cPanel/WHM News if i use Mozilla Firefox.

I don't know why and i did not change anything on httpd.conf except for Virtual Host tweaking.

9. webits

webits Well-Known Member

Sorry for Bring up old news, but I've the same problem, I don't see ServerTokens Full, how must I add it and under where exactly, If you'd be so kind to tell me, thank you !

10. latpanel

I said in my message: set
    ServerTokens full

in the config file of your apache server, that's, in httpd.conf

Thanks