The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Security / Version Table questions (on WHM main page)

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by globule, Jul 20, 2006.

1. globule

globule Member

Hi,

When I log into WHM on my dedicated server, I'm presented with the Apache Security/Version Table listing latest versions of various packages against my installed versions. At the moment it looks like this:-

Code:
    Module                        Latest Version                Installed Version    Status
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apache Core                   1.3.36                        1.3.34               OK
    Passthrough Authentication    1.8                           1.8                  OK
    Bytes Logger                  1.2                           1.2                  OK
    Bandwidth Limiter             1.4                           1.4                  OK
    PHP                           5.1.4/4.4.2                   4.4.1                Insecure
    FrontPage                     FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2    5.0.2.2635           Insecure
    mod_ssl                       2.8.27                        2.8.25               OK
    OpenSSL                       0.9.7h                        0.9.7a               OK

Obviously I want my server to be as secure as reasonably possible, but also want it to be as stable as possible. I have my 'Update Config' settings as below:-

cPanel/WHM Updates: Manual Updates Only (RELEASE tree)
    cPanel Package Updates: Manual Updates Only
    Security Package Updates: Manual Updates Only

My plan is to login at least once a day and manually initiate the update process using 'Update to Latest Version' in the cPanel menu section of WHM so I can review changes, etc.

When I do this though, the installed version information for the packages listed above does not change. Is this because the newer versions are not in the 'release' tree? Should I change my preferences to use the 'current' or 'stable' tree instead? Or will the new versions make their way into the 'release' tree when more testing has been done and they are deemed to be ready for production use?

2. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

cPanel/WHM Updates: Manual Updates Only (RELEASE tree)
    cPanel Package Updates: Manual Updates Only
    Security Package Updates: Manual Updates Only

The above has nothing to do with apache. You need to use the update apache link in WHM.

Backup your config files before you do this. If your not sure how to, I suggest hiring a server admin to help you.

3. globule

globule Member

Hi easyhoster1, thanks for the advice.

As you can probably tell, these are my first steps with cPanel so I need to spend some time getting experience with how cPanel handles everything before putting this server into production use. I have a few years experience managing *nix servers of various sorts, so at the moment it's the cPanel way of doing things that I need to grasp.

Can you tell me if Apache is the only package that needs to be updated seperately in this way?

Are all the required Apache configuration files stored in /etc/httpd/ as normally found in Linux distributions? As far as I can see, this is the case, but I want to make sure cPanel doesn't store anything somewhere else. I'll make a backup of this directory before proceeding.

There are a few menu entries in WHM that refer to software updates. I'm now presuming the various options do the following (please tell me if I am wrong):-

cPanel > Upgrade to Latest Version - Updates cPanel itself (and required packages such as Perl?)

Software > Apache Update - Updates Apache and PHP.

The following ones, I'm not too sure what their purpose is meant to be:-

Software > Update Backend Scripts - Depreciated? (mine says 'This function is no longer used').

Software > Update Server Software - What is this targeting specifically? Is it designed to update the OS software (CentOS 4.3 in my case)?

Software > Update System Software - And this? How does this differ to the one above?

Any information on this would be much appreciated! I am reading various howtos and forums so am slowly getting there, but I do find the official cPanel documentation rather lacking in specifics...

Cheers!