The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache SpamAssassin - general consideration

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ddaas, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ddaas

ddaas Member

Hi,
    I have a hosting server running FC4 with cpanel.
    How should be my approach regarding calling SpamAssassin ?

1) Should I create a special spam-collector account where all spams are redirected, and eventually manually checked for false-positive?

This account will be for all domains, so maybe this not the optimal solution...

2) Should I only rewrite the subject header.? something like [SPAM]subject
    This means that the message is not rejected, I find this also not optimal..

So, how should I do? How do you do on your site?

My other questions is if RBL lists are good to be used with exim. They are sure good, but I am afraid of false positive. How is it from your experience?

Thanks

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You'll find every thing you need to learn about SpamAssassin, configuration file and generator, tools and how to train spamassassin, and much more at: http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc.html

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

how you setup your email subsystem is really a personal preference and requirement.

For eg, I use mailscanner to handle my emails. This software is very powerful but it is also very resource hungry. I am very used to it now and I love the fact that it helps me with handling spams. Spamassassin alone could also be configured to run perfectly but I find mailscanner a great complement to spamassassin.

Also, as for using RBL. Again it depends on personal usage. Some RBL servers are very aggresive and some are not. You just have to experiment with them and find the best few for you. For example, if you don't do business with china, you could probably add china blacklist into your RBL and avoid a lot of spams. But I can't do that because my users do corresponce with chinese.

4. asterisk

asterisk Well-Known Member

I have heard many good things about Mailscanner and the beauty of it is that it takes care of your spam problems for you with the configuration being really easy. :)

About RBL lists, I would recommend that you generally don't use them until you find yourself getting hit with spam. Then use the appropriate RBL to combat it. For example if you are getting hit with lots of spam from China, then use an RBL specifically for China domains and activate it.

This would be ideal if you are running a setup where you are unsure of which addresses you will be receiving email from and it would be a strong downpoint for you not to receive those emails, for example, if you are running a business online.

If for personal use, then by all means I strongly recommend using RBLs as they would lighten the load on your server by quite a bit.

5. ddaas

ddaas Member

Thanks for your tips