The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache SpamAssassin not updating ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by WhiteDog, Mar 11, 2010.

1. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Well-Known Member

I am getting more and more spam in the last few days, all receiving low scores by SpamAssassin. I went to investigate a bit and it turns out you can update spamassassin by running sa-update. This didn't help however.

I went ot look in var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org and it turns out all the rules have a timestamp of Jan 02 2010. so it seems my rules are 3 month old at the moment.

I also notice that i can't reach updates.spamassassin.org nor spamassassin.org.

So here are my questions:
    1. Do I need to change or update the default channel?
    2. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
    3. How are the SA rules in cPanel updated? Is sa-update run every day or do new rules come with a cPanel release?

Thanks in advance!

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

As a matter of policy, I typically kill "Bayes" and "Auto Whitelisting" features in Spamassassin as these systems have a tendency to become heavily corrupted over time and will begin overriding spam scores with very low scores a lot of times allowing much spam to pass through.

You will want to take a look a /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Check out the information at SpamAssassin: Welcome to SpamAssassin

3. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Well-Known Member

I took your advice and adjusted some settings. My auto-whitelist file was over 20 MB by the way.

I'm still getting a lot of spam trough tough, i'll see how it goes.