The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache UserDir Issue For Shared IP's

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by dwinans, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dwinans

dwinans Member
    PartnerNOC

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. If so, do they have any information on how to fix it?

Within WHM we setup a Shared IP to be used for the server... Once an account gets created on the server that uses the shared IP a virtual host entry is created within the httpd.conf file for the server.

The problem is that this entry gets created with the below, which is syntactically incorrect. This causes apache to go down as it cannot restart to apply the change. It will not start back up until we either delete the UserDir line, or set it to disabled.

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
    ServerName some-server.some-domain.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
    ServerAdmin admin-address@some-domain.com
    <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
    </IfModule>
    UserDir enabled
    </VirtualHost>

This only happens when the first shared IP account gets created, and the virtual host entry for the actual servers name is created. The same can be said if a reseller has a shared IP and they create their first shared ip account. Subsequent accounts setup on that shared IP do not have this problem.

I've ran the apache config distiller script after manually fixing the problem and I've rebuilt the apache configuration after that to make sure the change took, so I know it has something to do with the virtual host entry getting created for the actual servername, and I know it deals specifically with shared IP's.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What is the full cPanel version number of the system involved?
    Code:
    # cat /usr/local/cpanel/version && echo
    What is the full Apache version information (as reported via the following command)?
    Code:
    # /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -v
    Reference Note: The issue description leads me to believe it may be related to the following internal case ID: #25846

3. dwinans

dwinans Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel support was contacted and we initially believed that this issue related to the version of cPanel. However upon further investigation, to resolve this issue you just need to add the "DefaultHost" to exclusion from the UserDir protection.

#3 dwinans, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009