The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apf question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icanectc, Apr 23, 2004.

1. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I did leave a post in APF forums, but I would like to ask the question here. Lot of knowledgable people on the cPanel forums.

I think I did something way wrong. I successfully installed the APF firewall and tried to port scan the server making sure all was being firewalled property and everything seems great. That is until I tried to SSH into my box...

For some reason when I open the SSH Access Screen from cPanel the java app button does not get displayed so I can not bring up the terminal window.
    I am not sure if this is related to the firewall blocking the port SSH is on...

If the firewall is blocking the SSH port how can I get around this, can I get around this without calling the NOC?
    I know the firewall gets turned off on a restart however I have it set to auto start on a reboot using unit.d start sequence. I edited a file /etc/rc.local file:

sh -c "/etc/init.d/apf -start" &

I tried rebooting anyway to no luck getting into SSH. If i upgrade cpanel will it overwrite the rc.local file with an original one? I did not chown the file in anyway. Or if you have any ideas that I can do much would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

APF by default runs in developer mode. You need to manually disable this mode by setting DEVM=0 in your config. If you did not do this, then you only need to wait 5 minutes before APF will shut down and you will be allowed in (that is why it is there!) By default, APF also allows access to port 22, so you should also be able to fire up an SSH terminal program and log in.

If you changed your conf.apf file, disabled developer mode and blocked SSH access then you should call your NOC and be more careful next time.

3. SarcNBit

I just read your post on the rfx forum.

Note that telnet and SSH are not the same thing. By default telnet runs on port 23 and SSH on port 22. Port 22 should be open by default in your apf install.

4. icanectc

okay great so then why when we goto The SHell section of cPanel the applet doesn't load. (ie; it looks like a broken image) and it wont load the terminal window... Any idea? This started hapepning after APF was installed?
    Although now that I think about it we updated to Current Build 26 before we tried to get into SSH.. I will try to update to a stable or a bleeding edge build and see if this solves the problem...

5. SarcNBit

Are you able to get in via SSH (or puTTY if you are using Windows)?

6. icanectc

SSH from cPanel wont even come up.. the java app button is broken to click on start... I will try putty though.

7. icanectc

Putty works so I guess I did not block port 22 It must be the version of cPanel we are using.... At least it's good to know we can ssh in via Putty at least!! Thanks for your help SarcNBit.

8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What version of java are you using on your computer? I know this threads a few days old...

9. icanectc

I got it taken care of actually it was XPSP2.. IT removed java from the system entirely and locked it down. I had to install java from javasoft to get the button working again. XPSP2 locks the system down real hard.. Couldn't do much of anything. I had to tweak SP2 a bit to get stuff working again.