The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archives folder excessively large

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fugtruck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. fugtruck

fugtruck Member

Can anyone explain to me what this folder is used for, or when data gets written to it?

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private

It has several gigs of data in it in the form of named <site_name> and <site_name>.mbox. Is this just a backup of users' mail, and if so, is it accessible to the users? If it's just a backup and not directly accessible by users, then I would like to just blow it away as I do not need it.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    These are the archives for the mailman mailing lists and they are used in each mailing list to access emails sent to the list. If you blow it away, the individual mailing lists will no longer have archives to review previously sent emails to the list.

3. fugtruck

fugtruck Member

Is there any way to configure this to store these archives in the users' home directories rather than on the /usr partition?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    These cannot be set to store in the users' /home directories individually, but you can try the suggestions I have in this prior post:

Full /usr partition

To move the archives to /home or another location and symlink them back. Of note, please ensure you have full backups prior to making these changes and please remember that you are accepting full responsibility for making this change and any possible loss of data due to pursuing this course of action.

If you would like to suggest a feature where these archives store in the user /home directory location, I really believe that is a fantastic feature request. Our feature request forum is at the following location:

Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM

Thanks.