The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are any email prefixes disallowed by CPanel?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GillianS, Jan 23, 2015.

1. GillianS

GillianS Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have a suspicion that there are certain email names that CPanel doesn't like you to use, e.g. admin@domain.com or email@domain.com or domain@domain.com. Is that right? I'm having problems with accessing a domain@domain.com address via BT Yahoo Mail.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The usernames you referenced are not reserved so you should be able to create email accounts with those names. What error message do you receive when doing so?

Thank you.

3. GillianS

GillianS Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in replying (I thought I'd get a notification email that there was a reply to my thread, but apparently not - EDIT: I just found out that I have to subscribe to my own threads in order to get notified of any responses.)

The problems I'm having is setting up an email account such as xyz@xyz.com (this is not the real address or domain) for a client with POP3 access on BT Yahoo Mail (in the UK) webmail where the characters before the @ match the domain. The process is the usual add account > type in username, email address, mail server, port, etc. In order to be allowed to receive (download) email directly from the server into the BT Yahoo Mail account, the BT Yahoo system sends a verification email with a link which needs to be accessed on the xzy.com domain webmail and a link clicked which then verifies that the person who has set up the account in BT Yahoo is entitled to do so. What's happening is that the verification email to xyz@xyz.com is either not being sent or is not being received on the xyz.com domain server (I've checked using the email trace facility in CPanel which is the highest level of access I can use to check). If I set up an email address such as betty@xyz.com and go through the same setup process the BT Yahoo Mail verification arrives almost instantly and everything works fine.

#3 GillianS, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have root access to the server? If not, could you have your hosting provider search for those verification emails in /var/log/exim_mainlog to see if they were rejected?

Thank you.