The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are forwarded emails processed by spam assassin?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by electric, Mar 23, 2006.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I'm getting conflicting answers to this question, so I thought I'd ask it again to see what people say. (Yes, I did a search.. which is where I found the conflicting answers.)

Does spam assassin "work" when an email is being forwarded?

For example, we have a client who has no email accounts created, but they have the "catchall" address set to forward email to iloveaol@aol.com.

They have enabled spam assassin for their cpanel account, and configured a filter so that any "tagged" spam will get discarded.

Now, is spam assassin going to work for this setup?

Thanks!

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In my experience SpamAssassin will scan forwarded e-mails, if that address is also set up as a mail account on the domain.

For example, if you had bob@domain.tld set up as a POP/IMAP account AND you had bob@domain.tld set up to forward to bob@aol.com, then then messages to bob@domain.tld would be scanned by SpamAssassin and marked accordingly. I am not sure how this would work if you have your account set up to discard SpamAssassin marked messages, but if you just have SpamAssassin set up to rewrite the subject of spam messages, then it has been my experience that both the POP/IMAP account on your server AND the bob@aol.com address would receive messages with the subject rewritten.

If just the forwarder is setup, then I do not believe SpamAssassin will scan the messages.

As a side note, you should consider searching the forum for "aol forwarders". There are some issues involved with forwarding e-mail off of your server, this holds especially true for aol addresses and doubly true if you are forwarding your default box to an aol address.

3. electric

After my own testing, I can confirm this is exactly how it works. :(

I wish spam assassin also worked for forwarded emails. Or at least have that as an option in the WHM "tweak settings" area.

You bet. I'm intimately aware of this problem. Do a search for "AOL fowarder addon" and you can find my whm addon that will give you a list of all aol forwarders on your server. :)

4. eger

eger Well-Known Member

This sucks for forwarders that are piped to Ticket Systems that you want the messages scanned... I also wish just forwarders could be scanned by SpamAssassin.

5. asterisk

asterisk Well-Known Member

Just a thought, create an intermediate inbox so that SpamAssassin can work on those mails and forward/pipe mails from there, then setup a script to delete e-mails in the intermediate inbox once it has been forwarded.

6. electric

Submit this as a feature request. :)

7. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

well... I've modified my /etc/exim.conf quite a bit so I can't really say exactly what needs to be done, but... I believe you can reorder things a bit, so that at least most of this scanning happens before it bothers checking for where the mail is actually being delivered.

That being the case, you can filter out for blacklists, run a message through clamav, and then add a spamassassin tag before it gets redirected or piped.

there have been several postings on here about adding antivirus/spamassassin to the exim config, but I'm pretty sure with a little bit of work you can get it done.

just remember to keep backups handy for when ya mess up :P