The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are php5 and fantastico compatible?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by albatroz, Apr 8, 2007.

1. albatroz

albatroz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have read that some of the FOSS scripts installable from Fantastistico may not be 100% compatible with php5, so I just wanted to know how do you handle this situation...

Do you have separate servers for Fantastico/nonphp5 users?

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Everything in Fantastico works 100% perfectly with PHP 5

3. albatroz

albatroz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And MySQL5?

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Yes, MySQL 5 works just fine with all the scripts in Fantastico as well

5. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

i would check at the fantastico forums regarding MySQL5 , as i am pretty sure some of the scripts we tested a few month ago didnt work with MySQL5. ;)

Let us know what feedback you got from kosmo!

Everything is working fine with php5 though

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

It's been a lot longer than a few months since there were any compatibility issues
    with MySQL 5 and none of those were ever scripts installable from Fantastico.

I find it kind of amusing how many people out there that made wrong assumptions
    about both PHP 5 and MySQL 5 and attributed compatibility issues where there
    was in fact no compatibility issues whatsoever.

If I were paid a penny for each programmer or each user I also publicly embarrased
    where someone claimed a program wasn't compatible with PHP5 and / or MySQL 5
    and it turned out it was actually instead fully compatible, I would be very rich!

In any case though ... no .... everything works fine in Fantastico with both
    PHP5 and MySQL 5 so you don't have to worry about anything.

7. gorilla

8. aegis

aegis Well-Known Member

Spiral's wrong.

For one, phpWebSite 0.10.2 as shipped with Fantastico doesn't support php5 but then it's broken in other places by Fantastico anyway. As installed by Fantastico, the multi-site Branch feature is also broken because Fantastico deletes the setup folder after it's installed. Branch creation relies on files in the setup folder. They also seem to miss two of the modules on install too - the forum and RSS feeds module.

I'm one of the developers on phpWebSite fyi. We'll have a v0.11 release shortly to fix php5 issues and I've an idea on how to fix Branch so Fantastico's habit of deleting /setup doesn't cause issues.

9. gorilla

Hi aegis , and what about mysq5 support for it ?

10. aegis

aegis Well-Known Member

Don't know about that yet. There's issues with the language module where it creates case sensitive table names by adding _EN or _DE etc. If you've any specific issues though, let me know or raise it on Sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwebsite/ rather than take over this entire thread with phpWebSite issues. :)

The newer phpWebSite v1.1.0 release is php5 and Mysql 5 compatible btw, but Fantastico don't ship that AFAIK. It's a lot different to the older 0.x stream though and it's not an easy upgrade for something like Fantastico to do or anyone for that matter.

11. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Actually "Spiral is right"! phpWebSite works perfectly fine installed from Fantastico
    without any modification or patching when PHP 5.2.1 is correctly installed on the server.

(Side FYI, I have about 500+ sites running phpWebSite installed from Fantatastico
    with this configuration currently running 010.2 on more than a few so actually it does
    in fact work just fine unpatched and I know this first hand because some of my
    own sites actually use that too!)

Don't feel bad, I very often run into many program developers who don't know their
    own program and I have personally embarrassed more than a few when things
    later escalate in demonstration of their own arrogance to a head on debate
    and turns out they didn't know so much like they thought they did.

Incidentally, most instances of so called "compatibility complaints with PHP 5"
    actually are wrong and are not actually compatibility issues whatsoever but rather
    the incorrect or bad installation of PHP on the server of the reporting user.
    I spend a great deal of time helping administrators correct their PHP installations
    because many of them don't realize that PHP 5 actually needs to be installed
    differently than PHP 4 ... a few different configuration options ... PHP.INI ... etc.
    Failure to do that can result in some programs not working.

Now jumping topics to the separate issue you mentioned about Fantastico deleting
    setup folders after install, you do know there is a configuration in Fantastico
    to turn that off for all installations, right?

#11 Spiral, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  12. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

Alternativley you could forget about any kind of PHP compatability issues, by running PHP4 and PHP5 on the same server.

13. aegis

aegis Well-Known Member

I think you're talking out your ass unless you've patched how get_class() works so that it's case insensitive on php5 like it was in php4.

Otherwise there's no way phpWebSite 0.10.2 will work in php5 as that's what most of the issues were. The list, item and manager core classes worked on the assumption that the class name coming back was lower case as in php4. There are others but that's the main one.

I presume you don't use the Calendar module, the forum, photoalbum or announcements as they all have issues under php5, which we've now fixed for the upcoming v0.11.

I've been working with it since 2001 so I'd be very surprised.

So tell me how I fix these compatibility problems by changing php.ini...

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php

...without also affecting PHP5 user's expectations as to how that is supposed to work.

No, I don't use Fantastico. I just have to deal with the fallout from users who've installed it with the broken presumption that deleting /setup is ok since Fantastico gives them no warning as to why that would be a bad thing.

14. aegis

aegis Well-Known Member

You just have running PHP as a cgi type issues then instead and no support for it from cPanel. :mad:

15. sime

sime Active Member

Exciting reading, look forward to the next chapter.

Meanwhile, over the next few months, I will be adding details about PHP5 compatibilty of all Fantastico scripts to this thread:
    http://www.netenberg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3933

If you have information about the compatibility list in the first post of that thread, please add it here or there and I'll look into it. A direct link to the actual compatibility list is here:
    http://tdknights.com/fantastico.htm

I'm using this tdknights.com list as authoritative because:
    -- fantastico will not take responsibility and publish a list.
    -- that is the fantastico forum and that thread has been made sticky.
    But please note that I don't control the tdknights.com list, so updates will happen on the thread and there are a number of updates on the thread that are currently not reflected in the list.

In the end, it seems that Fantastico scripts installed in cpanel have less compatibility issues than when Fantastico is shipped alone. Obviously this will be due to a more controlled server environment.

Cheers.
    .s