Are there any alternative scripts to Cpbackup?

AdamDresch

Jun 22, 2006
While the basic CPanel backup script works, it is somewhat limited

Ideally it'd be great if there was an option to preserve X number of daily/weekly/monthly backups, instead of the system overwriting the existing ones

Anyone know of a line of code/ing or script which can facilitate that?

lorio

Feb 25, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There was another one on the forums, search for a smarter backup script. We quit using it when it the updates for it stopped, but if it might suit your needs.
What are you using now?

AdamDresch

Jun 22, 2006
There was another one on the forums, search for a smarter backup script. We quit using it when it the updates for it stopped, but if it might suit your needs.
Thanks, yea that's the first one I looked up, but it's no longer available.

danielmolano

Registered
Feb 8, 2009
re

are you using wordpress? if so they have a few plugins that will backup everything up..and if not then I'm sorry I dont know..all I know is wordpress.

rhenderson

Apr 21, 2005
Oklahoma
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You could just write a simple script to copy the files to a different location every night after backup has ran. Not a great way but it could solve your problems. You could rename the old folder before copying the new backups, something along those lines.

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This script is the one I mentioned previously, it works along similar lines to what rhenderson has suggested.

To make it work, you copy it into /scripts/postcpbackup and it is run after a backup completes successfully. The script rotates daily, weekly and monthly copies keeping N copies of each. You can specify N separately for daily, weekly and monthly through keepdaily/keepweekly/keepmonthly variables, and no copies are made if those variables are set to empty or not set. For instance, the following would keep two copies of daily backups and 3 weeks of weekly and no monthly backups:
Code:
keepdaily=2
keepweekly=3
keepmonthly=
You can put these settings in the script itself or in a file /backup/cpbackup/.postcpbackup

For the script, see www.whitedoggreenfrog.com/scripts - it's the top paragraph at the moment, postcpbackup...

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
ps: if you use and like it, could you post here; also if it has bugs, let us know.

The version I have up at the moment uses "tac" but I can change it to use ls -tr instead, just haven't got around to doing it and testing it ...

britsenigma

Dec 14, 2008
I'm gonna test it out.

First thing I noticed is, if you have your backup folder in another location, you need to make a change to the CD command.

I inserted a variable at the top, although it would be nice if I could pull that variable fromwhere cpanel saves the tweaks data.