The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are We Ever Going to Get Admin That Works?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloyd_tennison, Jul 26, 2007.

1. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

It would be really nice to have the admin actually be able to be admin and do something in a user's control panel, like add software and run fantastico. It is a real pain to every time have to contact the customer to get a password to do it. I do not understand why it cannot be made to work an eliminate all that extra work.

It is easy to change user and set permissions in the shell - why cannot we not have Cpanel do it too? Would save an solve lots of problems with updates and security from the client not updating too.

2. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

You can already do this.
    From WHM click on the List Accounts from left menu.
    On the right list, click on the Cpanel icon of the user which you want to administer.

You can already do this from cPanel interface. When you log in as reseller, there will be a drop down menu which shows the list of the customers. When you select the customer, cPanel automatically change to this customers account.

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think what the OP is referring to is that regardless of which Script Installer is used (AutoInstaller or Fantastico) you cannot do anything with Addon Scripts. You get an error msg. like:
    To use this while logged in with the reseller or root password there must be a valid .my.cnf file. Please create

To the OP, do you use the Addon Script Manager?
    You install it using WHM > cPanel > Addon Modules (v10) or Plugins (v11)

It's not quite the same as working within the Addon Scripts section but it does allow you to see who needs their script(s) updated and allow you to make updates. Beware though, just like in Addon Scripts, doing an update uses default settings and can break a customized script setup.

4. lloyd_tennison

But you cannot fix or check an install when then customer says
    :confused:

And Fantastico does not work at all.:(

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You have full access to the database via WHM. What more can you do in Fantastico except install, upgrade or remove? And that's only a few clicks. Not sure why anyone couldn't accomplish that on their own. if somethings not working for a user, you can easily run an install on your own account and check it that way.

I wonder if this shouldn't be being asked at Netenberg forums? cPanel doesn't maintain Fantastico.

As an aside, if it's installing SMF you're having an issue with, edit the settings.php at bottom so it looks like this.

$db_character_set = 'utf-8';

Instead of this.

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

And that can easily be done from WHM as well. Using this:
    http://www.configserver.com/cp/cse.html

Hope that helps.

6. lloyd_tennison

As I mentioned and stated you cannot do a thing in Fantastico. It states it right there.

Fail means it will not work! Access to a database is not the same thing. Not everything is in the database. If it in not installed - nothing is in the database.

You can also not access any Cpanel addons?

What/where did SMF come from? I never said anything about it.

You seem to be missing the point. All I am saying is why can we not become the user in totality - not just in most things. Permissions are set the same way if you create an email account - set the user Cpanel user and then the individual user. Why can we not do the same in the addon scripts.

Oh, and the Netenberg forums state that is set by Cpanel, and mention the addon scripts as the example. Fantastico is limited to the same permission Cpanel gives all types of addon scripts, including RVskin too.

7. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You don't have to ask them for their password, just add another line to the shadow with their username and a known password. Login with the new password. When you are done, just delete that line and their old password is active again. It doesn't matter what the old password is.

8. lloyd_tennison

An example of what exactly you mean would be appreciated. Just make a new master user? And then md5 it? In the user shadow file - /user/etc/domain/shadow ?? Or /etc/shadow and then md5 it?

Thanks in advance.

9. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want access to a main customer account (not an email account)

find the line with their name and COPY it to the bottom.

Now, use an md5 generator to make yourself a password.

Replace their md5 (or crypt) with yours. It will read the last line and not the original. When you are done, erase that new line.

For email accounts, use the shadow located in their home directory:
    /home/user/etc/userdomain/shadow

It works great for me!

10. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually I don't understand Fantastico software can't be installed or adminstered via the user's cpanel without the root password. It's always seemed a strange restriction to me.

There must be some implementation difficulty that is making it impossible, but it would be great to see either cpanel or Fantastico taking initiative to solve this once and for all.

Not too much point posting this here though; it needs to go in the netenberg forums.