The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argh! Transfer is not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeremyV, Mar 12, 2003.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

I have a pretty large site I'm moving to another one of my servers. Since I own them both, it isn't like my site is offline or anything, but I really need to get on this faster server.

So, before doing the big move I tried a few smaller accounts/domains and transfered those just fine. But when doing my main site, it took a good 4 or 5 minutes for the script to complete. Everything checked off ok until the very bottom, and this was the provided message:

So it looks like the tarball was corrupt or something? Not sure why this happened, all my other accounts I transfered worked fine, but this one was giving me the problems.

2. Johnnie Nelke

Johnnie Nelke Active Member

I have had this problem myself before... with a large site. Not sure if this is the ONLY solution..... but it worked for me. Wait until late at night when the net isn't as busy as normal.... or the site is not as active. I moved one at 2am without a hitch.... but there was no way it would even make it during the day or after the 9 to 5'ers got off.
    I hope this helps.

3. JeremyV

Great, that was my next option, to try it late at night. Luckily I host a great deal of local business and regional sites, so maybe at 3am when they are sleeping I can go about my business :D

If that doesn't work, I'll report back. Thanks!

4. JeremyV

well it is 4am and the server is virtually dead, hardly a sole using it. No such luck, same error as before :( So, any other ideas/suggestions?

5. JeremyV

Hmm.. still having the same problem regardless of which method I try :( Ideas and suggestions still welcome :)

6. Johnnie Nelke

How large/busy is this site?

7. JeremyV

Around 600 MB, give or take a few. Half of that is a MySQL database for a message board, and the other half is for the most part a photo gallery. During the day and evening, it is fairly busy, 50-90 people online. But this morning when I tried it at 4am, there was 4 people on the site, so it was VERY dead compared to usual.

8. rfonseca

rfonseca Member

I had the same problem moving a rather large site. I moved the smaller sites without a problem too. I think the problem was associated with the space availability on the server I was transferring from. After I tried the transfer the last time, I received an cPanel error that /var was at 98%. I never did manage the transfer and ended up doing a server to server ftp, dumping the databases on the old site and moving them over manually too. Luckily I had the Vbulletin SQL dump feature to use otherwise I wouldn't have made it. I don't know if any of this helps. Good luck!

9. JeremyV

Does the account transfer process dump the file to /var or to the root partition? Because my /var has 7.1 gigs free, so if that is where it goes, that can't be the problem. But the / partition has only 750 MB free, which could be causing a problem :confused:

But yes, I was really hoping to not have to move it manually because the process would cause the site's downtime to be in a timeframe of an hour or two as opposed to 5 minutes :(

10. Johnnie Nelke

I had a friend do this...... but not 100% if it'll work. In theory yes it will. Make a complete site backup and download it.
    Create the site on your new server..... then go to the sites new Cpanel and upload the backup through cpanels backup menu. He said this worked for him..... and basically you are using the same backup you would be pulling from the site.
    Hope that works for you...... with a site that large it is going to take a bit to get the backup download though.

11. JeremyV

After running it again and trying to see where the tarball is saved, it looks to be saved in /tmp

Well, unfortunately this location falls in the / partition, and below are the stats:

/dev/hda1 2.9G 2.2G 566M 80% /

As you can see, with only 566M free, my 700 MB site can not be tarballed and saved in this partition :mad: So my question is, is there a way to configure where this file is saved to for the transfer? My other partitions are full of space, but I never thought the root partition would be used for the transfers... :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Johnnie Nelke

Sorry no solutions......... perhaps start a new thread and maybe you will get someone with fresher Ideas.

13. JeremyV

made some progress...

I had solved the lack of space problem by moving my /tmp location to a partition that had much more space. So yay, I fixed the first error. But of course something else had to go wrong instead :mad:

You may not know.. but I'll post the error here anyway incase anyone has had similar trouble:

This time it gets a checksum failure. Hmm... ok, now this is odd. Right before the checksum error it said it was downloading the tarball... which is impossible! Because I was monitoring "top" via SSH while this whole process was going on, and the checksum error was displayed in WHM before the tar/gzip commands were even being executed :confused:

After the error.. it still took tar about 10 minutes to complete making the tarball, which is intact in the /tmp directory and is about 250MB in size.

I just find it odd that the script would say it was downloading the tarball when it wasn't even created yet... maybe there is some programmed timeout limit and it didn't wait long enough? I'm not sure, but that sucks :mad:

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions... I'll try anything before having to create backups in cpanel and download them and re-upload them via my cable modem that has about a 12kb/s cap on upload speed

14. yuga

yuga Active Member

Just found a solution now.

SSH to the old account and look into the /tmp. You will see there a file cpmove-username.tar.gz - delete that one.

Check the space quota of your specific account. If it's using more than 50% of it's disk space, upgrade it to a bigger one. the Tarball file uses up space and if the account quota could not accomodate it, it will become corrupt, thus the Checksum Error.

Do the WHM copy. It should run smoothly. (Downgrade the account to it;s original package.)

15. edesignway

edesignway Well-Known Member

It seems I can never copy any account above 200MB without running into errors. Even sometimes a 5MB account won't copy, just gives random errors. So I thought of this little work around.

It has a few extra steps, but it gets the job done.

First create a dummy account on your server, this account should have a quota large enough to copy the user’s full backup from their existing server.

Next, log into the client's cpanel where their site is currently hosted. Once logged in,

- Click on backup
    - Click on Generate/Download a Full Backup
    - For the “Backup Destination” option select Remote FTP Server
    - Enter in your server/dummy account information

Once you get the email confirming the backup is complete, SSH as su on your server.

Change to the dummy home directory
    # cd /home/dummy

Locate the name of the backup file
    # ls

Copy it to your backup drive (You may need to mount your drive fist)
    # mv backup-X.XX.2004_XX-XX-XX_USERNAME.tar.gz /backup/cpbackup/daily/

Rename the file to the username
    # rename backup-X.XX.2004_XX-XX-XX_USERNAME.tar.gz user.tar.gz

Untar the file
    # tar xzf user.tar.gz
    It will decompress as backup-X.XX.2004_XX-XX-XX_USERNAME

Rename the folder to the username
    # rename backup-X.XX.2004_XX-XX-XX_USERNAME.tar.gz username

- Login to your WHM
    - Create the users account on your server

After the account has been created
    - Select Restore Backups
    - Select the daily button
    - Locate the Username and then select the following boxes
    .... - Restore Subdomain Entries
    .... - Restore Mail config
    .... - Restore Mysql Dbs
    .... - Recreate account is optional

It will then decompress the user.tar.gz file. (It will decompress it as backup-X.XX.2004_XX-XX-XX_USERNAME, but earlier when we decompressed it we renamed the folder to USERNAME)

It will then restore the account as it was on the original server. Once the backup is complete, delete the two backup directories and tar file from the backup drive and you are all set.

This whole process will take (depending on account size) no more then 5 minutes of your time.

Hope this will come in handy for someone.

Regards,
    Tim

#15 edesignway, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  16. emodragracer

emodragracer Member

ok I did all this and for some reason the users option in the restore backup is blank..

how do I get the users name to come up??

also the cruel irony is I own the site that Jeremy had problems with.. I had to buy my own server and I am now tryin to move the whole homedir. and the phpbb board over the my new server... two weeks and it is still not workin right..

help!!!

17. cyberultra

cyberultra Member

Very Handy!!

Thanks for the great tips edesignway!

This method is even better than using the "Copy an account from another server with account password" because we never need to know the account password!

By the way, I found that it could be easier if we move the archived file to /home then use the "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" in WHM.

:)

18. neutro

neutro Well-Known Member

edesignway. i would like to say.. thank you :)

19. curriertech

curriertech Active Member

When I do that I get this error:

root@server [/backup/cpbackup/daily]# tar xzf nestreet.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Any ideas?

20. NovemberRain

NovemberRain Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been planning a server move for the next week, I have one large site, it's 850mb in total and 150mb of it, is mysql database It is a very important site and I don't want to have any problems.

So it looks like I am going to have problems like yours :( Looks like it isn't possible to move large sites via WHM.

What I wonder is, Is everybody having these errors while transferring large accounts or just you? Is there anybody who successfully transferred large sites via WHM copy account function?