The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASPX Email Form send without authentication?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by odiego, Oct 10, 2007.

1. odiego

odiego Registered

Hi all,

I have an aspx form I am using to test the ability to send confirmation e-mails.

On the From: i have webmaster@mydomain.com

and here's my question:

When I use mail.mydomain.com (w/o authentication) and have a To: address as valid_address@mydomain.com (someone within my server) eventhough my server requires Authentication, the message comes thru without with no problem.

But if I use a To: address as anybody@anotherdomain.com (outside my server) it does not work, gives me 550 error. Which makes sense...

How come I can send an e-mail to a 'valid; e-mail on mydomain.com without authentication?

Thanks all for your help on the forum!!

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is by design. Because exim by default allows you to send mail to domains hosted on your server without requiring authentication.

Think about it - If it required authentication of the sender before allowing reception of mail to domains that are hosted on the server, nobody in the outside world would ever be able to send mail to domains hosted on that server without first smtp authenticating :)

Mike