Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Assign IPv6 Address / IPv6 Ranges issues

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by rangka_kacang, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rangka_kacang

rangka_kacang Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, It's me again and I'm new here. Sorry for asking too many questions.

My upstream provider just assigned me /112 block of IPv6:

2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:0000:0000:0000 until 2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:0000:0000:FFFF

Gateway: 2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::1

I read,

IPv6 Ranges - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    Guide to IPv6 - How to Get Started With IPv6 - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

but still couldn't get it up and running. I tried to setup shared IPv6 virtual host from the WHM interface, it gave me this error:

Invalid Shared Virtual Host IPv6 Address value: “2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:0000:0000:0000” (The range overlaps with another existing range: 2001:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:0000:0000:0000/112). This setting will not be updated.

Which step did I do wrong? I can't read and write in good English so the documentation is a bit confusing to me especially this part "You must add your gateway individually before you add the full gateway range, and set the gateway to RESERVED so that cPanel does not assign this IP to an account". I always get the invalid IPv6 range error.

How do I reserve the gateway IP and which range should I assign in the IPv6 range before I enable it on my main account (which will be used as the shared IPv6). I've already added the AAAA records for the domain but still unreachable. I read google, wikipedia on IPv6 because it's new to me and I'm really tired after searching for answers the whole day. Help!

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I read all 3 threads non that I can relate to (the range overlaps with another existing range). The problem is I have no idea what's my IPv6 address range, my upstream just gave me this:

I have no idea what should I put in the IPv6 address range interface in WHM. I'm also confused as to the gateway. To be honest, I don't understand it at all. I only want to add the range given by my upstream to WHM then add 1 of the given IPv6 address to be used as the shared IPv6 - I'm stuck here so I can't proceed with updating the reverse dns for it because I'm not sure which IPv6 to use and what to put in the range area. I already set up the tweak to listen to IPv6 and set the AAAA records (perhaps i got the wrong IPv6 address). The shorter range 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/112 -- i dont want to open a support ticket

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You mentioned not wanting to open a support ticket, but it's really the only way we can provide you with the exact entry you need to add in WHM. Is there a particular reason you prefer not to open one?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think my thread has something to do with this but unable to find answer:

SOLVED - Basic WebHost Manager® Setup - shared IPv6 error

Code:
    ping6 ipv6.google.com
    connect: Network is unreachable
    Code:
    netstat -r
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    default         gateway         0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
    link-local      0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 eth0
    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
    Code:
    ip neigh show
    XXX.XXX.XXX.1 dev eth0 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX STALE
    XXX.XXX.XXX.2 dev eth0 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX STALE
    XXX.XXX.XXX.3 dev eth0 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX REACHABLE
    XXX.XXX.XXX.4 dev eth0 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX STALE
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    ::1             localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

127.0.0.1               localhost
    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX          ***.***.*** ***
    I can't even ping6 from the box and I already changed the tweak to listen to IPv6. I got an error while trying to add the shared IPv6.

#5 rangka_kacang, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here and we will update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

7. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your support request ID: 9255447

8. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, the problem has been solved.

It turned out my upstream network provider gave me a wrong IPv6 gateway. After changing one of the octets with the correct one, I then configured my new IPv6 gateway in ifconfig-eth0 and I can do ping6.

Regarding the IPv6 range that overlapping my main shared IPv6 is because I'm new to IPv6 and didn't use the correct CIDR notation to split the IPv6 range given by my provider. I figured that out after using the CIDR calculator tool and added a few ranges that doesn't overlap with the main shared IPv6 of my choice. For example, my main IPv6 is on /64 and I setup a range using /80 /112 for example, and I'm able to use these range for newly created accounts with dedicated IPv6. Also, I've reserved the specific IPv6 gateway (/128) so that cPanel/WHM won't mistakenly use it in the future.

I know that IPv6 isn't that popular but maybe it will for the next few years. IPv6 features in cPanel/WHM are still lacking, this software is supposed to help new system administrator to manage their server via graphical interface instead of messing with terminal and command lines. For example, it should have a better explanation as to why an IPv6 range is invalid (please elaborate more so that we know what is the root cause even as simple as an invalid gateway because there is no option in WHM to edit this other than editing ifconfig-eth0).

Thank you.

9. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, I'm reading the 70 Change Log - Change Logs - cPanel Documentation and found this:

• Fixed case CPANEL-17582: Provide error message on invalid shared IPv6 address

I wonder how's the new error message looks like but to be honest, I'm actually quite happy to see such implementation. Good job! :-D

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I'm glad to see you were able to solve the issue(s). Thank you for sharing the outcome, and yes the case you referenced that's included in cPanel version 70 should make for detecting these types of issues easier, as you will now be alerted of such issues before saving the configuration.

Thank you.