The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

assistance in using a dyndns secondary dns server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by stardotstar, Mar 19, 2010.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

All,

I recently had a case where an unscheduled data centre outage caused my cpanel/whm server to go down. My other server which hosts several sites lost all dns services...

I have seen this post from ages ago:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/editing-named-conf-62360.html
    it has no replies but essentially states the same case as I am interested in.

Can I use a dyndns service as a secondary name server for my zones such that if my main host goes down I don't lose the ability to resolve the names on my other server?

The Dyndns zone information section says this:

Is this anything I can or need to do with the cpanel or do I simply have to go to the domain registrar and add the delegation to the zone there?

Sorry to be a bit dim but DNS is still one of the great arts that I am a very lowly apprentice at!

TIA
    Will

2. stardotstar

I have added the

ns2.mydyndns.org
    ns3.mydyndns.org
    ns4.mydyndns.org
    ns5.mydyndns.org

as "Other nameservers" in the registrar's manage domain name servers/hosts and saved that.

Do I need to add entries to the zone file on the whm config:

thedomain.com.au 86400 in NS ns2.mydyndns.org

etc...

How does that sound?

3. stardotstar

I note that the documentation says that all I should need to do is allow transfers out of my primary name server - I am beginning to think that this need not impact cpanel/whm at all and can be done:

My question now is whether this needs to be done to named.conf or can it be done within the individual zone in the zone editor?

Still very keen to hear from someone expert in these things guys>!
    Will