The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASSP & cPanel/WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tbtucholka, Oct 9, 2004.

1. tbtucholka

tbtucholka Member

Has anyone tried using this with cpanel/whm ?

I would like to set this up, to handle all spam for my entire server...

I wanted to check here before I go breaking things :)

It's called ASSP... and has many features for spam handling...

http://assp.sourceforge.net/

Thanks!

2. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

looks good, if you get it working, update this post.

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Yep... I've been running ASSP for longer than i have been using Cpanel... WHen I moved over to my new server back in February, I was able to move my ASSP install over and tweak a few configs and it was up and working.

The main thing is inserting assp into the mailstream...

Code:
    local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1.125
    Put at the top of your exim.conf to make exim listen on localhost on port 125 (and not listen on your public ips or on port 25)... then configure assp to forward to port 125. (change the port # if you wish). Have assp listen on port 25, and also an alternate port if you need it for some customers, and it'll forward all connections to exim on port 125.

Then you need to make sure that 127.0.0.1 is in your /etc/alwaysrelay file... or you may have trouble with some email getting blocked.

As far as I can remember, I think that was all the changes I did to the system outside of assp... so just configure assp properly and you should be good to go! Use test mode at first while you build up your spam and notspam databases... and make sure that everything is correct! This may mean going through spam by hand to train assp for at least the first several days... depending on how much email you get. Follow the docs to set it up and search the ASSP forums if you get stuck and you shouldn't have any trouble.

#3 dezignguy, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  4. tbtucholka

tbtucholka Member

would you be able to throw together a quick step-by-step install guide for this.. and how to use it in conjunction with exim...

Thanks
    Tim

5. dezignguy

Yeah, I did... it's in the post just above yours...

But seriously, I don't get paid enough here to do other people's thinking for them. I'm happy to freely offer some hard-won advice and point people in the right direction - just in the spirit of open source, but I have a family to support and I'm not doing anyone's work for them unless I get something for my time. FYI: I'd be happy to install it for you or walk you through it for a fee... ;-)

All the info you should need is in my post and in the ASSP install docs... it's all there, so there's no need to make anything else... RTFM. If you run into problems, post here or at the ASSP forums and maybe some kind soul will take a quick break from his paying work to give a few minutes of his time to help you out. But then maybe no one will and you'll have to either figure it out yourself or pay someone to do it. Such is the nature of the world. Realize that you have no right to free support or free services.

Anyways... that turned into a bit of a rant, and it wasn't aimed all at you either, Tim. I'd better end it here though.

Perhaps you could convince one of the guys who run those tutorial sites to create a how-to for this... they get something back through the advertising, etc on their sites so maybe it would be worth it to them.

6. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

do you confirm

or

local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1:125

what have I to insert on Network/MTP Destination ?
    default value is 127.0.0.1:225

7. IRCBrasil

IRCBrasil Well-Known Member

the correct is

you will need include all your local domains to ralaying - Local Domains*. Put this: file:/etc/localdomains

8. Radio_Head

Thank you. IRCBrasil could you write a brief how to to install assp on cpanel ?

9. Radio_Head

bump ......................................................:confused:

10. dezignguy

Radio_Head, this thread IS a brief how-to for installing ASSP on a cpanel server. This thread addresses all the specific changes needed for Cpanel. Except for these items, you can basically just follow the standard ASSP docs for installing.

But since it looks like you really want some sort of 'how-to' written up, and you probably aren't too far from finishing your assp install, then why don't you write one yourself and post it here?

#10 dezignguy, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Please do not bump threads, especially in multiple threads for the same topic. People will answer if they want to.

12. IRCBrasil

IRCBrasil Well-Known Member

Sorry Radio_Head, I am not more using ASSP. Thre are many options to configure and the load was very high on the server installed, so I back to RVSKIN solution that for me, that have blocked more than 50.000 e-mails / day, is the best solution for a low load.

13. binoy

binoy Member

dezignguy how do you configure assp to send the spams to spam folder under users account. By default the emails detected as spams are sent to (/usr/local/)assp/spams .

14. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

This is a site selling your script to install a free script???? I don't get it.

15. Radio_Head

I'm not selling assp which is free . I am selling scripts (assp deluxe for cpanel) which permits to use assp on cpanel per domain/subdomain/domain addon and parked domains , and a with a web interface .

#15 Radio_Head, Dec 19, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006