The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attachment in Email Lost

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hylaxco, Jul 31, 2007.

1. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi, I'm newbie to cPanel. I have problem on mail issue and hope you guys can give me some solutions.

My boss sent an email with attachment inside to few of my colleagues. However, one of my colleague received the email but without the attachment (looks like the attachment has been removed). My boss sent one more time to him and again, he received the mail but still without attachment. Thereafter he asked another colleague forward the email instead of asking my boss to resend third time. Weird thing! He gots the mail and the attachment sent from my colleague. Anyone can help me??

I'd check with him, he used Outlook Express. I'd already told him to uncheck the option "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" found in Security tab under Tools > Options. But, the problem still the same. He can received the mail but dont have attachment inside. As told by him, all along he has no problem only these few days started got problem.

Pls help me... else I will shoot by.... :(

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The security measures in Outlook Express are pretty straightforward - If he can't receive attachments or view images, he should go in [again] and:

1. checkmark those security features, click APPLY
    2. UNcheckmark those features, click APPLY
    3. then click OK, then click CLOSE.
    4. Then close and re-open Outlook Express.

When I say APPLY, I do mean APPLY, then click OK, then CLOSE. I've often seen where simply clicking OK doesn't do the job - After all, they put the APPLY button there for a reason, and too many people don't bother to click it.

If you're sending the attachment and the server isn't blocking it, and if he sees the paper clip for the attachment but cannot open the attachment to view it, it's the security checkboxes in Outlook Express. Pretty straightforward. If it doesn't work after that, tell him to contact Microsoft - after all, they created the POS [the same POS that I've been using since 1999 or earlier myself).

Mike

PS: Boss' are notorious for not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.... They are bosses because they know how to delegate tasks. You might have to babysit him by watching him while he does it.

#2 mtindor, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  3. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Don't think the server bloking it as others colleagues can received but only "him" cannot received the attachment. I'd check the Outlook Express, there is no paper clip for the attachment. Just the email only. Further more, the email has changed to Plain Text from HTML eventhough the setting are set to HTML.

Last time you told me to check the Mail Q Manager, so I went there and check but no email..

Thanks
    Kelvin

4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Tools / Options / Security
    - uncheck Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus
    - uncheck Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail
    - click APPLY

Tools / Options / Read
    - uncheck Read all messages in plain text
    - click APPLY

Then click OK, then CLOSE. Then re-open Outlook Express

If it is fixed, then be aware of what you just had him uncheck.

Just an an FYI - I CHECK 'Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail" but I UNcheck the other two listed above. And I send/receive attachments just fine.

Mike

5. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi Mike,

Okay, I will try the below.

So this to say nothing much done with cPanel, right? It has no problem for cPanel but for outlook express, am i right to say that?

Thanks,
    Kelvin

6. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel out of the box is not going to strip an attachment but still deliver the main message. Under normal operation/configuration, if Cpanel has a problem with an attachment in a message, the whole message is rejected. So I'd say no, i don't think it's a Cpanel problem.

Of course, with that said, it is always possible that the sysadmin of your Cpanel server has specifically made significant changes that could potentially strip attachments but still deliver the main message. But again, this is not default or 'normal' Cpanel operation and so I would say it is highly unlikely that it is a Cpanel problem.

mike

PS: remember what you said about an HTML mail being plain text when it is read in his Outlook Express - which would indicate to me that he has a the one setting that I described previously checkmarked, causing all mail to be read as plain text. This could cause the attachment to not be viewable.

7. hylaxco

hylaxco Member

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your kind supports and advise.

I always told them could not be cPanel problem (unless the sysadmin has made some changes to strip attachment as you said below), but they always pin-point that is server or ISP problem. :(

Well, I am relief now.