The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attracta Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MediaServe, Jun 22, 2012.

1. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Other than Infopro's screenshot/discussion thread, I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about Attracta aside from the big thread complaining about forcing it on us (glad that was changed!). I've just started testing it on a single server (which only hosts our company website), to see if it's something we'd like to roll out to our hosting clients.

It didn't take long to come up with a concern, so I figured I'd start a thread here for discussion, and update it with any subsequent concerns or clarifications I receive.

So, yesterday afternoon I installed the plugin on the server that runs our site. I decided to run through the cPanel features using our site as a guinea pig.

Today, less than 24 hours after installing and using the plugin, I received a call from Charles McGraw of Attracta, trying to sell me higher end, more comprehensive SEO services for our website. He had no idea we *are* the hosting company--he just wanted to sell higher cost SEO services to me, stuff that isn't handled by or available within the cPanel plugin.

My concern is this--there is value in us as a provider putting our clients in contact with Attracta. Attracta will apparently credit us 10% commission on the revenue generated through the tools within cPanel, but if they are going to call our clients and upsell them, we should get credit for that as well, but that's not the case as far as I can tell. In effect, that feels to me as though we're being used as free lead generation.

Any comments?

By the way, even though the company name, website, email address on our "partner" account with Attracta matches exactly the "website" account created by using the cPanel plugin from within cPanel, Charles had absolutely no idea that we *were* the hosting company, and had no access to that information, so he's in a group of people that are obviously doing nothing but calling end clients who use the cPanel plugin to upsell them.

Also, a couple times he used this sales line on me that went something like this: "We are the only SEO service used by all the big hosting companies--they won't use anyone else." I kinda doubt that. He threw out some names like HostGator, BlueHost, etc. (basically several of the big overselling, overcrowding, limited unlimited types.)

Update: It occurs to me that it's possible that a client who is introduced to Attracta through the cPanel plugin, and then is upsold by a phone call from Attracta, could still end up generating referral credit to the hosting company. If the basic account is created through cPanel and tagged with us as the referring host, perhaps all sales to that client could generate referal commission. I have followed up with Charles by email asking this very question, and will update this thread if/when I hear back.

#1 MediaServe, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. TroyMcCasland

TroyMcCasland Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi WTL,

Sorry about Charles not realizing that you are our Hosting Partner. We are putting procedures in place so that our sales reps know about this in the future.

All revenue generated from a hosting company's customers is credited back to that Host. These sales generate significant revenue for the host and produce great results for your customers.

You can if you wish configure Attracta to remove managed services and thus eliminate calls to your customers, but that will cut down on the rev share you earn. These configuration options can be found in the WHM section of the Attracta integration.

3. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thanks Troy. I appreciate the information, and it's good to know that these phone sales aren't an end run around the provider. That makes me feel better about potentially rolling this out.

However, I still have reservations about clients trying out the Attracta tools in cPanel and then getting a sales call from Attracta. I'm going to have to think about how that might be received by our clients. If I roll it out, I may have to make it clear to our clients that they will likely receive a phone call from Attracta if they use the tools.

4. TroyMcCasland

TroyMcCasland Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi WTL,

I understand your concern about having customers called by a third party company like Attracta. A few of our partners initially felt the same way.

However, once they learned that the calls are made by highly trained account reps, closely supervised by professional managers at our head quarters in Napa, they became more at ease with the process.

The calls are soft-sell and take a consultive approach to offering our managed services. After making over 500,000 phone calls, we have not ever had a hosting partner complain about customers getting called by Attracta.

Our hosting partners appreciate the phone follow-up because they know they make money from the calls, and more importantly they know their customers make more money by getting increased traffic to their website.

#4 TroyMcCasland, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  5. RMJC

RMJC Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Regardless of how or why calls are made, I would NOT appreciate anyone calling my customers to upsell them anything unless I am the one doing the upselling. Knowing the majority of my customers, I am sure they would not appreciate the calls either. They don't even like me trying to upgrade them to additional features. For me, this is a killer to my decision as to whether or not I would add Attracta to my systems. To me and my customers, unsolicited telemarketing is equivalent to spam email.

6. Renato Merino

Renato Merino Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I totally agree qith you, but I think it´s even worst, because you don´t expect to receive a phone call for an upgrade of any type from an external company that doesn´t belong to your hosting provider.

Cheers :)

7. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I too received a similar phone call and I asked their rep LOTS of questions. I was promised that they would look into my concerns as a matter of urgency and get back to me ASAP - but I never received a call or email from them. I've also tried to contact them via their support email address and they never reply.

My main concern is that I know we've had customers use their paid services but we've not had one single commission from Attracta. There isn't even an area in the partner account where you can view referrals.

It just seems to me like a very one sided situation - they want you to refer your customers to Attracta but they wont pay you, nor will they bother to reply to your emails, or get back to you unless it is profitable for them.