Attracta to become new feature in cPanel & WHM (Q & A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I've been following this thread on/off and I have to agree with most of the posters that this should be off by default. We'll just follow our standard 'big cPanel update' procedure and turn off auto-updates so this just does not roll in.

We singed up with Attracta several years ago but never really rolled this out. Overall we liked the concept, but ran into issues with branding. We operate under number different brands and they area pretty much all mixed together on our cPanel servers. When we signed up with Attracta when you clicked on the link in cPanel to sign up you went to a branded page (branded with our logo). I'm 'guessing' this is not the case anymore as a specific cPanel plugin was given to us to installed (with our branding). Between our multiple brands and then our resellers this just did not work.

Can you let us know if the page that our clients/our resellers clients will go to is branded in any way? Will resellers be able to disable this within their feature list if they don't want it.

Again, my vote (not that it prob. matters) is that things like this should be off by default. We have to notify all of our resellers before something like this goes in and that's just causing a lot of extra work for us.

nixgurus

Feb 16, 2011
Google
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
+1 from me too on turning off it by default. Anyone need this service can enable it. There are plenty of other cpanel plugins which we use and really useful like Google Apps Wizard, CloudFlare Plugin, Magento 1 Click installer are few of them. Why not cpanel building them inside Current release and ship to us ? cPanel team is not taking care of what their customers want. We are paying license fees every month. And this fees itself a lot of $$$$

Kent Brockman

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
A simples question to Cpanel team.
Why is attracta activated by default? whats the advantage? (we already know whats the disadvantage)
There is a deal between cPanel and Attracta to deploy the plugin. Aaron from cPanel tell this several posts above. The deal of course represents an amount of money coming to cPanel. I fear cPanel is in need of extra money so that's why they are implementing this marketing move for Attracta. These are tough times, we know. Buying Siteocity hosting provider is also another way to get extra money from the hosting fees of those customers and in the process cPanel can get fine grained, real world usage analytics of their software.

I think a really good deal would be if cPanel get in touch with the people at CloudFlare to get it bundled inside cPanel. That would be a good deal: high velocity and availability, CDN powered, websites for the masses.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi Kent Brockman, I think your fear is a bit misplaced here and comments like that are not only not helpful in this thread, but sound a bit tacky, and quite frankly doesn't make much sense. Please stop guessing and assuming here. Speculation like yours has been in this thread to date continues to take away from the topic.

In regard to Cloudflare, this is not the place to post a Feature Request as you know, as you are active in the Feature Requests forum. I think you understand the way Feature Requests work so won't distract from this thread on that other than to say that there is a cPanel Cloudflare plugin being actively developed you might like to know about here:
Wiki | CloudFlare | The web performance & security company

If that interests you, please post a proper Feature Request as you would anything else. I'd sign on to it with you. I think its a fine idea.

Back on topic, most all questions have been properly answered and those remaining concerns should be addressed in an upcoming announcement as I understand it. Lets stick to what we know and not what we think might be probably sort of the case.

Thank you.

ljesh

Aug 2, 2008
Hi Kent Brockman, I think your fear is a bit misplaced here and comments like that are not only not helpful in this thread, but sound a bit tacky, and quite frankly doesn't make much sense. Please stop guessing and assuming here. Speculation like yours has been in this thread to date continues to take away from the topic.
Just to make it clear that Kent Brockman's opinion share many people in the community, including me and including some members of webhostingtalk.
It's unclear to us how is it possible in 1 month period of time cPanel to go in that route (Siteocity + Attracta). Those are two HUGE mistakes which in the end the owner/stockholders of cPanel will pay for. It looks like in the end cPanel will be able to push forcefully third-party addons only to its own servers in their own company Siteocity. Nobody wants that to happen, we all love(d) cPanel, but if that's their choice who is a man enough to change their mind?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Just to make it clear....
Lets put this in some perspective since you link to another thread at WHT on this topic.

Do you have any idea how many servers are powered by cPanel? Me either.

Do you have any idea how many unique responses have been posted here, and on WHT in regard to this topic?

I do:

whohasposted.jpg

I'll ask you the same thing I did of Kent Brockman, please quit assuming.
Those are two HUGE mistakes which in the end the owner/stockholders of cPanel will pay for.
..and guessing.

The mistake here is your comments with inflammatory statements such as this.

I think we all know how this goes from here on out.

There is a topic ongoing and you can add your comments, pro or con. But the guess work and innuendo must stop.

ljesh

Aug 2, 2008
I see you like math.
I don't know how many servers are powered by cPanel, you either, but I know that only 3 people like this new thing that cPanel pushes in our throats: cPanel representative (which is understandable), Attracta representative (which is also understandable), and you. You are a bit of enigma to me, I don't really know who you are and what is your direct connection to cPanel, but the other two is understandable that will defend their position.
So, in fact from all of those that voiced their opinion about this thing, over 90% are agains. That's enough for me, and should have been enough for cPanel.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Actually I can't stand math.

As for me, I'm the forum moderator here. I've been the forum moderator here for many years.

Using your math, 90% of 53 unique users across two separate forums 'against' Attracta may be enough for you, but the Web Hosting Industry itself disagrees with you.

My sincere apologies if my posts trouble you. But that's going both ways here right now. And I'm the moderator on these forums.

monarobase

PartnerNOC
Jan 26, 2010
France
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just to say that this post has got more negative votes than any other feature request.

There are probably thousands or millions of servers running cPanel but there are not that many people who read these forums on a daily manner.

If Attracta has said that the contract will only be valid if it is activated by default then OK but if it is just cPanel deciding this then I think the votes against having this as default should be sufficient.

Attracta + cPanel + cPanal forum moderator => For having this as default
Others => against it

Please could someone from cPanel give us a valid reason why this should be on by default ?

I only found out about this a few days ago. Maybe cPanel should e-mail their customers and open a poll about this ?

From our point of view if Attracta is only in english then it is not a finished product and we don't want products that are incomplete.

I'm not sure what percentage of cPanel users (not administrators but users) use cPanel but I'm sure that all other languages put together come to at least 20 or 30% (or maybe more).

If Attracta supports all cPanel's languages then OK from our point of view for having it by default (as we will use it and because we do not sell SEO). But from other hosts point of view (who sell SEO) this shouldn't even rearly be included directly to cPanel. It should be a plugin like @mail or munin !

Last edited:

TroyMcCasland

Mar 22, 2010
La Jolla, California
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
We singed up with Attracta several years ago but never really rolled this out. Overall we liked the concept, but ran into issues with branding. We operate under number different brands and they area pretty much all mixed together on our cPanel servers. When we signed up with Attracta when you clicked on the link in cPanel to sign up you went to a branded page (branded with our logo). I'm 'guessing' this is not the case anymore as a specific cPanel plugin was given to us to installed (with our branding). Between our multiple brands and then our resellers this just did not work.

Can you let us know if the page that our clients/our resellers clients will go to is branded in any way? Will resellers be able to disable this within their feature list if they don't want it.
Each Webhost (cPanel license owner) and WHM reseller has the ability to individually co-brand the Attracta portal by uploading their own logo, as well as configure what services they want to offer to their respective customers.

This system gives the maximum flexibility to both the Webhost and the WHM reseller.

TroyMcCasland

Mar 22, 2010
La Jolla, California
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Just to say that this post has got more negative votes than any other feature request.

If Attracta supports all cPanel's languages then OK from our point of view for having it by default (as we will use it and because we do not sell SEO). But from other hosts point of view (who sell SEO) this shouldn't even rearly be included directly to cPanel. It should be a plugin like @mail of munin !
Attracta will support all cPanel languages by the time it's included in cPanel. Many SEO's use Attracta tools as a plattform to sell their professional services, see post #135

Kent Brockman

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi, Troy: about the AdDollars, how is this managed? you put the ads in my website automatically? or I set where I want them to be shown like with Google AdSense? Can you show an example to see how they look like?
In the other hand, if I already use AdSense, am I eligible to deploy AdDollars in our websites?
Thank you

Jones

Jul 10, 2004
Lets put this in some perspective since you link to another thread at WHT on this topic.

Do you have any idea how many servers are powered by cPanel? Me either.

Do you have any idea how many unique responses have been posted here, and on WHT in regard to this topic?

I do:

View attachment 10012

I'll ask you the same thing I did of Kent Brockman, please quit assuming.

..and guessing.

The mistake here is your comments with inflammatory statements such as this.

I think we all know how this goes from here on out.

There is a topic ongoing and you can add your comments, pro or con. But the guess work and innuendo must stop.

You do not like guess work? Do you want petition or numbers in all the internet about how bad cPanel is breaking the privacy of their clients? Don't start the fire my friend and you will get it.

Yes, read those post again in WHT and you will see that some are ready to cancel cPanel.

Those math you provided in WHT is just few but you do not know how many connections those people have. How many servers they have. How many servers they managed. How many friends they have running cPanel. etc....

As a moderator, you are represent cPanel. Is this how you reply to your existing clients? I don't care if you are not a staff but you are a moderator and in the eyes of many members here, it is the same.

Bad dog! bad!

tynmanz

Registered
Mar 29, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Please make note, some like myself have not posted about our displeasure with this. I made one post at WHT in regards to this new "feature" and left it a short post, but I know many that like myself that may cancel their licenses or at the very least not updating.

monarobase

PartnerNOC
Jan 26, 2010
France
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why would you not update if you can deactivate this option ? Why would you cancel your licence if it's easier to deactivate the option ?

As attracta will support cPanel languages I'm 100% for giving this product a go and if I like it we will use it. I'm just not 100% for having it activated by default by the principal of enforcing a product installation on disks of customers who do not want it.

What about having it activated by default on new installations but not activate it on servers that did non previously have it before an upgrade ?

myusername

PartnerNOC
Mar 6, 2003
chown -R us.*yourbase*
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Infopro said:
As for having to do something/anything, this is Server Administration 101. Updates are a way of life. Even if you run no control panel theres always work to be done somewhere on something.
That's the point we are making. There is already enough things to do without having to worry about disabling advertisements every time cPanel finds a new partner they want to promote.

As another poster mentioned, this sets a precedent for cPanel, which for those of us who were lucky enough to find this thread actually took the time to read about, and see what it meant for us as business owners and systems administrators.

It's undeniable that it causes more work for us even if we will be running Attracta or already are running it. We have much better things to be doing with our time. (Like writing forum posts!) :)

the Web Hosting Industry itself disagrees with you.
I am sorry but this is a silly comment. I would hardly call 2 threads on WHT and cPanel the entire web hosting industry. I might go to WHT as a source of information one time per year if they are lucky. Most of the larger hosts out there (and all the ones I speak to on a personal level) don't even post there anymore because the content and discussion there has gotten so bad over the last few years. They might run ads, or drop in to get their signatures noticed but they aren't using WHT as a channel for important information like this.

I post on cPanel forums sometimes with feature requests or other contributions which have actually made it into the product. I am not saying that I am the ambassador of the hosting industry myself, but I know I represent a significant portion of the industry who rarely use these channels. They certainly are not representative channels of any official number that should be used as an official poll or measure of satisfaction.

cPanel should probably consider how their largest hosts who can afford to build their own panels might react to finding advertisements popping up in their panels.

Though many in the industry are unaware of it, and cPanel certainly knows about it, (since they handle the billing), is that most of the top names in the industry these days are full owners or majority stakeholders of other well-known hosting brands. All of the big boys are in the same club. These companies already share internal software and systems like order forms, billing systems and help desks that have been developed internally. What are those hosts going to do when they get tired of removing ads from their already customized panels? This club makes up the majority of cPanel license holders, and if they pack up their bags, that just won't be good for business because licenses are going to be lost in huge volumes.

Most of the concern here is not Attracta as a brand, at least for myself I am not targeting them directly.

The concern here it is the course of action that is being potentially set. That decision, remains unanswered (at least publicly) from either cPanel or Attracta, which is the reason people are still posting and upset in this thread. To reiterate, the main question being asked is the one about "why must it be opt-out?"

To be clear, I already know the answer to that question, Troy already told me on the phone exactly why that is. So I know and understand Troy's motivation for it, but not cPanel's to whom which we all pay license fees directly or indirectly.

As I understand it, this information will be forthcoming in some announcement, by someone, possibly. So I, like the others I guess will eagerly await for the public to be told the "official" information from cPanel.

sniperscope

Apr 5, 2011
osaka/ japan
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I agree most of people's concern about security.
It is good news to hear that feature will be in cPanel but it should be TURNED-OFF by default.

When people like to use it then simply they click icon in their cPanel account and accept Terms&Conditions of Attracta THEN start to using that service.
All i can say is that it definitely MUST be OFF by default.

Jay M

PartnerNOC
Oct 10, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I presume the policy has now been changed to Opt-in? As the cPanel licence purchasing process now has an option to enable/disable Attracta - as well as a default option (which says off).

Status
Not open for further replies.