The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authentication set/configure authoritative DNS server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by TomPi, Apr 28, 2016.

1. TomPi

TomPi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

we are running a server on which roughly 200 domains are hosted.
    Actually we are developing a solution to handle email subscriptions, since we do not want to use external services like e.g. MailChimp.
    I have set up a domain on the same server, dkim + spf enabled etc.
    I see the warning that cPanel cannot verify if the server as an authoritative nameserver for the specified domain name.
    I found some information, that I have to set the nameserver for the specified domain name to the nameserver of the hostname (?).
    Unfortunately the domain used for the hostname ist not registered as nameserver, but both, the domain for the hostname and the specified domain use the same nameservers.
    If I would register the domain as nameserver, would this affect all domains hosted on the server?
    If so, is there a possible "workaround"...?

Thanks for reading - hopefuly someone has a nice solutuion :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You may see a warning that the system cannot verify the server as an authoritative nameserver for the specified domain name. If either of the following scenarios is true, ignore the warning:
    • You designated the server as the authoritative DNS server for the domain name, but the change did not yet propagate.
    • The server does not view itself as the authoritative DNS server, but outside servers view it as the authoritative DNS server.
    This is documented at:

Authentication - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. TomPi

TomPi Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello and thanks a lot for your reply.
    I think I cannot ignore the warning.

Please consider the following scenario:

1. The domain used for the server and hostname is server1.my-server-domain.tld
    2. The nameservers for domain my-server-domain.tld are ns1.nameserver.tld and ns2.nameserver.tld
    3. The domain which will be used for sending out emails is mailer-domain.tld
    4. The nameservers for mailer-domain.tld are the same ones (ns1.nameserver.tld and ns2.nameserver.tld).

If I understand all documentations correctly I would have to
    a) register my-server-domain.tld as nameserver.
    b) change the nameservers for my-server-domain.tld to ns1.my-server-domain.tld and ns2.my-server-domain.tld.
    c) change the nameservers for mailer-domain.tld as well to ns1.my-server-domain.tld and ns2.my-server-domain.tld.

to solve the following problems:

Is this correct??

Thanks a lot in advance!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am only referring to the warning message you see when browsing to the "Authentication" option in cPanel. If the domain name uses cPanel for it's DNS, then you can use this option to enable SPF/DKIM. Otherwise, you can enable SPF/DKIM with this option, and then manually insert the records at the DNS provider for that domain name.

Thank you.