Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Authorization: Basic works but Authorization: WHM doesn't.

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by netshine, Jun 28, 2011.

1. netshine

netshine Member

SOLVED: Authorization: Basic works but Authorization: WHM doesn't.

I am writing an automation script for cPanel, and it works fine if I use basic authorization. If I try to use a remote access key though, I get a 403 Forbidden HTTP header returned, with 'Access Denied' in the cpanelresult element. Here is my code (PHP):

Code:
    if (strlen($server->whm_remote_access_key) > 0)
    {
        $header[0] = "Authorization: WHM " . $server->whm_username . ":" . preg_replace("'(\r|\n)'","", $server->whm_remote_access_key);
    }
    else
    {
        $header[0] = "Authorization: Basic " . base64_encode($server->whm_username.":".$server->whm_password);
    }
    If a password is supplied, but no remote access key, it works fine. If the remote access key is supplied, it fails with access denied. I have double checked that the hash is correct, and tried re-generating the hash in WHM, but it always fails. Is there something else I need to do in WHM to get it to allow remote access keys to work? Thanks.

#1 netshine, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. netshine

netshine Member

I figured it out. The remote access key is unique to the user you try to login with. I was trying to login using the root remote access key but with a reseller username, as I assumed the remote access key was the same for all users.

3. cPanelDavidN

cPanelDavidN Integration Developer

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi netshine,

You conclusion is correct. The remote access is only for the 'root' user.

As a side not to all: It's important that this access hash remain secure and private since it will give full, remote API access to root actions on your server.

Regards,
    -DavidN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...