The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authprog processes running for hours

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bdzzld, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Hi,

Authprog is normally used as a frontend between a user's e-mail client and the e-mail server (Courier) to verify if the user_id and password match and should only run for at most a few seconds.

I've noticed by running "top" that some of the Authprog processes run for several hours on my server (WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-S31, CentOS 4.2 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0). I've manually killed some of these processes but for some reason they keep on coming back.

Any ideas what can be causing this problem?

Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are you sure that there is a problem? Since authdaemond is running in daemon mode, the child authProg processes appear to be simply waiting to process new requests. Saves having to restart child processes all the time if they die after each connection. Or are you suggesting that they're looping?

3. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Hi Chirpy,

I'm not sure if it's normal... :eek:
    I've just not seen this happening on any of the other servers (although they're not running CentOS x86_64) I have.

Thanks.

4. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

I can verify this also. Authprog is running very high processes on one of our boxes.

5. dicen

dicen Member

I can see 5 /etc/authlib/authProg processes running on my VPS. Each using around 7MB of memory. These do not appear to be launched per IMAP connection. 5 daemons is configured in the /etc/authlib/authdaemonrc configuration file. I lowered it to 2 and after many reconnects I only see two of these processes running now. I have a lightly loaded mail server so you may or may not be able to do this. These processes do appear to run permanently.

By the way IMAP is configured in /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd and imapd-ssl files.

dicen