The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

auto delete mail from forwarded account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by emass, Apr 27, 2007.

1. emass

emass Registered

I have email accounts set up for specific purposes. Instead of checking each one though, I forward the mail to one email account.

I want the account from which the mail is forwarded to automatically delete the mail once it is forwarded. But I can't see how to do this. The mail is forwarded to the other account but it is also staying in the original account.

I pick up the email with Outlook from the account to which it is forwarded so the email is deleted off the server in this account. But the email builds up in the original account since it's not being deleted automatically. I then have to go in and delete it manually. What a pain and time waster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    remove the account that is being forwarded then the mail will never be delivered there it will only be in the account that it is forwarded to :)

3. emass

emass Registered

dalem,
    thanks very much for this reply. I didn't know it would be so easy. Originally, I thought I would have to have an actual email account in the name of the forwarded account. So I never even tried just setting up the forwarding without actually having the email account.

I do sometimes have to send email from the forwarded account but I experimented with outlook and found that I can send through my main email account and show the "reply" as the forwarded email address. So I don't actually have to maintain a real email account for the forwarded one.

thanks for your quick response.

Ed:)

4. vagsoftware

vagsoftware Active Member

Email forwarders are like symlinks for the filesystem.

5. tiggerific

tiggerific Active Member

Can anyone confirm -

If I set up a forwarder and the POP mail account I am forwarding from doesn't exist, what happens when I send mail FROM the POP mail account that doesn't exist?

The problem is that the majority of email servers check to confirm that the sender actually exists and reject mail if it doesn't.

So, does the non-existent POP mail account that is being forwarded come up as "found" when a sender check is done?