Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Auto Kill Processes with High CPU Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OCS, Nov 17, 2018.

1. OCS

OCS Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For some time now we have a certain account which always excels and uses up most of all server resources.. Often all other websites running on the server experience some downtime due to these high CPU uses by this account.. After killing these processes manually everything returns back up to speed.
    This account has really nothing special going on.. It's a simple eCommerce store with limited functionalities so I can't think of anything that would be using up so many resources.
    I've attached a screenshot of the processes.. There you can see that php-fpm for this account eats up all the resources everytime again...

I would to know if there is a possibility in WHM to auto kill processes which take up more than X% of the CPU.

Attached Files:

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Install cloudLinux will be you best option

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ES - George

ES - George Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Is it a client account? If so, I can't help but think they may get upset if the execution of their web pages suddenly gets cut short.

A better option would be to investigate the cause of the high CPU usage. For example, bots could be bombarding a contact form that has no CAPTCHA. Or there might be some simple settings changes that can be made.

If you don't wish to install CloudLinux to help throttle resources automatically, the only other option would be to move that particular account to a new server.

I know this doesn't answer your question about auto killing a process, but I figured this may be of help nevertheless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OCS

OCS Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @ES - George, I very much appreciate the reply and suggestion.
    This particular client will not/can not get upset about any short comings. This due to certain agreements.

Your reply about CAPTCHA forms made me think..
    After checking it seems that this account (website) actually does not have any captcha secured forms active.
    I've now enabled captcha and am very curious about the results..

I will certainly post them in the upcoming days. Thanks again.

#4 OCS, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2018
  5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I agree that CloudLinux would alleviate the issue of them being able to consume a large amount of server resources by automatically throttling them and this is a widely suggested resolution for this type of issue.

I also agree that all efforts to understanding the source of the issue should be made as well. You can use the WHM>>Server Status>>daily process log to see the specific processes on average and the top processes on the server for the day. This should give you some hints for the user, the captcha idea is also fantastic and any login page for the site should have something like this implemented as well as brute force protection.