The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-Responder asks for Character Set?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When an end user creates an Auto-Responder, it asks for Character Set, and it defaults to "ansi_x3.110.1983". There is no description of what this means, or why it is needed, so it is very confusing to new users.

The customer's account in WHM is configured to use "english-utf8". Why does the Auto-Responder default to using "ansi_x3.110.1983"? Can I get it to default to utf8 instead, or should end-users leave it as "ansi_x3.110.1983", or what is best?

FYI, this is in 11.24 Stable.

- Scott

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I believe this is an area where future enhancement or improvement may be desired. Please be aware it is safe to leave the setting at the default, automatically-selected character set. If needing to switch to something other than the default I would consider UTF-8; however, while the character set can be selected when creating new auto-responders at the present time I am not aware of a built-in method to change the default that is selected when loading the page.

Please note that, as I believe you've described, the language or locale character encoding does not change the character set used when configuring new e-mail auto-responders.

#2 cPanelDon, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Don. Thanks for the info! Do I need to submit a feature request, or is this already on the radar?

Thanks!

- Scott

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I believe it is already under the radar, but I think it will help to submit a unique feature request with your idea for improvement. If there is a specific way you would like the area improved this is great to include in the feature request. One possible idea could be to remove the need for the character set option and have it explicitly set to UTF-8, that I believe may be the safest in terms of compatibility. If you would like I can relocate this thread into the Feature Requests forum.