The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Responders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by secureID, Aug 18, 2004.

1. secureID

secureID Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to include the email address of the intended recipient (not the sender) in the body message of an autoresponder?

2. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

Im not sure if you can or not? you can try to look in the online manual about it, it might have a parser or veriable to do it.

3. secureID

Has anyone been successful with this one yet?

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Couldn't you simply 'hard code' that in to the autoresponder? It isn't like the address of the autoresponder is going to change on the fly.

5. secureID

Well the problem is that I do not know the targeted email address on the fly.

Example:

To: joe_smith@domain.com
    Subject: Message 4U

Autoresponder:

The person you are trying to reach "joe_smith@domain.com" is not on our server. Please try again.

Each incoming message will be targeted for a different user and I can't script it on the fly.

:)

6. secureID

Exim (or cPanel) is missing the %targetedEmail parameter.

7. SarcNBit

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do.

When you create an autoresponder in cPanel, you assign it an address. Messages sent to that address trigger the response. Messages sent to a different address do not trigger that response.

8. secureID

OKay..I see where the confusion comes in. I am a former SENDMAIL user and that system had the valiable I am needing from Exim.

Here is what I am doing:

Basically I am blocking spam from coming into the server via spamassassin.

I have setup a email filter and autoresponder combination whereby when spamassassin kicks out a message it routes it to spamassassin@hostdomain.com. Then the autoresponder sends a message back telling the sender the mesage did not get through.

The purpose of the autoresponder is to alert valid senders that their message did not reach the target. If they choose to they call us and we work through white-listing the sender.

The problem is that we get the phone calls but the sender has no idea who the target was becuase they are bulk emailing.

Yes, I know they are true spammers anyway but they have the nerve to call us anyway. Our ploicy is that we will alert our customer that someone wants to reach them but they are being blocked. The customer then makes the call.

Anyway, I just need the targeted email address...

Thanks for sticking with me on this :)

9. SarcNBit

Thank you for clarifying. I understand what you are trying to do now. You are trying to carry the original recipient into the autoresponder. The address of the autoresponder itself could be hard-coded into the reply but that would not help you.

I am going to have to think about that one.

That may not be the best way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.