Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto SSL and CXSWatch errors

Discussion in 'Security' started by bloatedstoat, Nov 13, 2017.

1. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I've been trying to understand why the following appears in our server logs.

Having just re-enabled Auto-SSL for a number of accounts on our server I noted that the following appears for those accounts. Incidentally this happens when CXSWatch performs its rescan of directories.

Code:
    /var/log/cxswatch.log:
    Nov 14 09:14:41 server4 cxswatch[4001]: Adding new cPanel user account_name_here.lock-84255-5a0a1951-1a842b...
    Nov 14 09:14:41 server4 cxswatch[4001]: Failed to add user account_name_here.lock-84255-5a0a1951-1a842: Invalid Home directory []
    Nov 14 09:14:41 server4 cxswatch[4001]: ...done
    Nov 14 09:14:44 server4 cxswatch[4001]: Adding new cPanel user account_name_here.work.iF2V...
    Nov 14 09:14:44 server4 cxswatch[4001]: Failed to add user account_name_here.work.iF2Vb_to: Invalid Home directory []
    Nov 14 09:14:44 server4 cxswatch[4001]: ...done

Any clues as to why this is happening?

I am aware that this should be posted on the ConfigServer forums; however I figured I'd try here first as it is more highly trafficked and likely to get a response sooner.

Thank you!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I believe CXSWatch scans the /var/cpanel/users/ directory for new users. It looks like it's picking up temporary files or directories in that location. Are any of the users referenced in the log at their disk quota limit, or were they recently created or modified?

Thank you.

3. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Michael,

The error is consistently reproducible on my system by toggling on or off Auto SSL under manage users in the Auto SSL screen.
    By default we have the feature list setting for Auto SSL to off and enable accounts individually using the "Override the feature list setting and force AutoSSL to be enabled." option.

I am able to trigger the error in the cxswatch.log by toggling Auto SSL "on" for any user and trigger it again by toggling it to "off".

This happens for all users on the system and is not governed by quota or creation time.

We are running v68.0.12 on CloudLinux 6.9 with CageFS enabled.
    The issue presented recently - possibly following an upgrade to v68.

Hope this helps. Thank you.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.