Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto ssl question

Discussion in 'Security' started by royce1054, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. royce1054

royce1054 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I had a question that I have had trouble verifying, and I was hoping you could provide me with some resolution to my concerns.

On our server, we have the majority of our domains using Comodo cPanel certificates that are managed by AutoSSL. Recently, we have had a request to use free DV certificates. Looking around I have seen that Comodo does offer a free DV certificate; however, using cPanel's SSL wizard, I did not see this as one of the listed options for certifying a domain.

Further research provided me with a feature to use Let's Encrypt as a provider for AutoSSL. This seems like it is the route we are trying to go. As such, this has raised some concerns all of which I will mention below.

Given that a majority of our domains are using the Comodo certificate and are managed using AutoSSL, will changing our provider to Let's Encrypt prevent these Comodo certificates from auto-renewing? I say this because we only desire to have a few hosts use the Let's Encrypt certificates.

Is there any way to have both the Let's Encrypt certificates auto-renew, and the Comodo certificates auto-renew?

Thanks

2. LordSolarMecharius

LordSolarMecharius Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From what I can tell, it appears you can only use one provider at a time for the AutoSSL certificates through the WHM interface. I did review the documentation and didn't see anything that explicitly said that's the case, but you can only pick one of the options. So if you switched to Let's Encrypt as the AutoSSL issuer, then the Comodo certificates won't renew automatically I believe.

You could probably use Certbot from LetsEncrypt to put those certificates on the sites you want them to be on, without having to make changes to AutoSSL configuration. If you give the below page your webserver and OS, it'll give you some instructions on setup/use:
    [removed]

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The cPanel-signed certificates offered through AutoSSL are through Comodo and are free DV certificates. You can ensure the AutoSSL feature is enabled for those accounts in "WHM >> Manage AutoSSL". Note that since they are through the AutoSSL feature, you won't see them available for purchase in the SSL Wizard option within cPanel. That option is only going to show you the commercial SSL certificates that you have enabled in "WHM Home » Market » Market Provider Manager".

For cPanel users that want to review or manage their AutoSSL certificates, they'd use the "SSL/TLS Status" option:

SSL TLS Status - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.