The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-Update changed Config Files - Application Down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by poopstain, Jan 17, 2008.

1. poopstain

poopstain Registered

Hope I've chosen the right forum for this question, as I'm new to the forums and CPanel in general.

I've been using WHM/CPanel for about 4 months to manage a single server environment for my web application. The application runs using both apache and tomcat and has been running fine for quite some time.

Last night however, there seems to have been an auto-update process that ran on my server at about 3:20am, this process updated many files, including those related to tomcat. As a result, our website application has stopped functioning. There are various problems related to the web.xml in the tomcat startup process, such as having the httpservlet entry multiple times in the web.xml, resulting in a non-unique entry error.

I manaully fixed that problem in the web.xml, but now tomcat for some reason doesn't seem to see my application.

After researching, I found the cpanel setting for automagic updates, it was set to Auto Stable..I'm now changed them to manual so that hopefully in the future I won't be surprised by this.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to rollback the changes that happened last night?

I see there is a rollback.conf which describes most of the changes that took place. I also found a cpanel-rollback directory, but unfortunately it was dated Oct 3, so probably doesn't have the data I would need to rollback.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jason

2. poopstain

poopstain Registered

resolved...

Well, I just wanted to post this in case anyone else has the problem in the future...

There were a number of problems with the config files for Tomcat...why it just overwrites these things I'm not sure, but I guess I'll just have to deal with this on updates.

Specifically, the biggest thing that was causing me problems was the error: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only

The root cause of the problem was related to some customizations that were overwritten in the Tomcat server.xml file. There was a context that pointed to a non-default docBase and the update wiped that out. After updating the docBase appropriately, the web.xml was found and everything worked peachy...

-Jason

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is your full cPanel version number? Was only the server.xml file corrupted, or also the web.xml file? Did you install Tomcat manually, via the Manage Plugins area or EasyApache 3?