The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autodiscover dns records

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dwykofka, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwykofka

dwykofka Well-Known Member

After upgrading today all of my customers with remote mail servers (i.e. exchange) are getting warning messages that they are being redirected to an autodiscover address with cpanel.

What a pain in the ...... this has been today.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Well-Known Member

Same here. Any easy way to get rid of it?

3. dwykofka

4. resapu

resapu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

This is an URGENT issue

I expect more people to see this thread shortly once their systems upgrade to 11.34.02 and DNS updates

All of our customers SRV records have been wiped and automatically changed to:
    https://cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

When starting Outlook popup:

Allow this website to configure email@domain.com server settings?
    https://cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

Also SSL certificate mismatch warning for autodiscover.domain.com warning box.

cPanel - please advise on a speedy resolution to roll back our changed records

For now we seem to be manually updating our SRV records and removing the automatic added A records (autoconfig IN A, autodiscover IN A) as per the 11.34.02 upgrade. Will not be a fun task figuring out the missing entries that have been wiped!

#4 resapu, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. resapu

resapu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

I have a Ticket Lodged 3286803.. cPanel support please make this a priority

6. resapu

resapu Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    merged above

#6 resapu, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. dwykofka

webmail.domain.ext was overwritten
    some clients point webmail.domain.ext to their own webmail server like OWA.

8. dwykofka

FYI, I did a grep for "cpanelemail" on /var/named and edited the records manually via whm to revert the changes.

I have /var/named backups so it was possible for me to compare the files and fix the errors however it was still a pain to deal with and some customers were upset because the dns changes took hours to propagate to their isp.

9. ritontor

ritontor Member

I've got the same problem here too. Love to know what we're going to do to fix it!

10. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Yea, this is killing me. Same issue of course and I don't think we had any backups on the zone files so I don't know what to do at this point other than to mange the flood of customers calling.

11. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We are currently investigating what it will take to provide support for disabling autoconfig/autodiscovery support on remote domains.

We currently discussing internally, and we have two directions on how we can proceed:

1 - Fast Fix) Drop autoconfig support for:
    Outlook 2007
    Outlook 2010
    Thunderbird
    Postbox
    KDE Kmail

2 - Slow Fix) Add support for discovering remote mail domains to the proxy subdomains system. This will have to be tied into the system in many places so it will require extensive testing.

We plan on completing one of the two options before 11.34 is shipped to RELEASE.

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In the mean time if you want to remove all the autodiscovery/autoconfig dns entries here is patch that will allow you to do so without removing your custom SRV records (an ALPHA quality patch that has not been though QA yet, and only tested on my machine):

Note: this post will be removed once an official update is available.

Do not attempt the instructions below this line unless you are comfortable with patching code, and understand the risk associated with this.

Backup your zone files first.

Copy this patch file to /root on your server: View attachment noreplace_preserve_custom_SRV_13.patch.txt

Code:
    root@server [/usr/local/cpanel]# patch -p1 < ~/noreplace_preserve_custom_SRV_13.patch.txt 
    patching file Cpanel/DnsUtils.pm
    patching file Cpanel/Proxy.pm
    patching file Cpanel/TaskProcessors/ProxySubdomains.pm
    patching file scripts/checkproxysubdomains
    patching file scripts/proxydomains

Be sure this block is now present in /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/DnsUtils.pm before considering the instructions below
    Code:
    # Preserve custom SRV records
    if ( $type eq 'SRV' && $current_record->{'record'} ne $value ) {
         push @domain_messages, "=$type\@$shortname (custom)";
        next;
    }

After applying the patch ,
    Code:
    /scripts/proxydomains --subdomain=autodiscover,autoconfig remove
    should remove all the autoconfig and autodiscover + SRV records (it should preserve custom ones if the patch was applied).

Then running
    Code:
    /scripts/proxydomains add
    should add them back in for ONLY the localdomains.

If you have a specific _autodiscover._tcp SRV record you want to point all your remote domains to you could also do something like this (replace yourrdomainhere.com with where you want it to point .. be sure to double check this before you run it or just try it on one first)

Code:
    for DOMAIN in `cat /etc/remotedomains`
    do
    perl -I/usr/local/cpanel -MCpanel::DnsUtils -e "Cpanel::DnsUtils::install_srv_records( [{'domain' => '$DOMAIN','record' => '_autodiscover._tcp.$DOMAIN.', 'value'=> '0 0 443 yourrdomainhere.com.'}], ['$DOMAIN', join('.',(split(/\./, '$DOMAIN'))[-2,-1]) ] );"
    done

This is by no means a complete fix as it does not remove/add the autoconfig/autodiscover when a domain is moved from local to remote and vise-versa.

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We will be removing the autoconfig and auto discovery support for the following mail clients:
    Outlook 2007
    Outlook 2010
    Thunderbird
    Postbox
    KDE Kmail
    from 11.34. Once we have added support disabling the autodiscovery when a remote mail servers (ie Exchange) has been configured, we plan on re-introducing it in 11.36. If you installed 11.34.0.2 and this support was enabled, it will continue to function for domains it has been enabled on.

Unfortunately it is too late introduce this change into 11.34 without significantly delaying the rollout of RELEASE and STABLE which would trickle down to delaying 11.36.

14. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I've just been alerted by a client to this issue, and I applied the patch to his server. Running "/scripts/proxydomains --subdomain=autodiscover,autoconfig remove" does remove the autodiscovery records, but "/scripts/proxydomains add" adds them back even for a domain that has Remote Mail Exchanger set in MX Entry and is listed in /etc/remotedomains

I guess I'll remove them all and then leave it be for now.

15. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    wow. this was a big mess. I just tried to run the patch, and it worked great for the records that didn't have special settings. But others that I have MX pointing elsewhere seemed to keep the settings.

Looks like I'll have to just restore from a backup.

I have to say, I am disappointed that this made it to the Release. I had waited 10 days from the Oct 5th updates, figured if there were any issues they would pop up.
    The change log did not indicate a new release yet for 10/18. So, I foolishly updated, and got whacked by this mess of DNS settings.

It's a great feature, having autodiscovery. But it really should have been tested longer. AND it would have been ok to delay the Release. Now, instead, server admins have to fix/patch this mess.

16. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Patch appears to no longer be valid after cPanel changes.

Code:
    /scripts/proxydomains --subdomain=autodiscover,autoconfig remove
    Removing proxy subdomains for all users.
    This may take several minutes if there are many accounts on the system.
    Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Proxy.pm line 77.
    What do we do now? I haven't gotten all servers patched yet and have clients complaining.

#16 MediaServe, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  17. xkola

xkola Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

i've the same issue here, there is no new patch yet? :confused:

18. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The patch won't work past 11.34.0.2 since we removed autodiscover and autoconfig support in later versions (to be reintroduced in 11.36 with remotedomains support). You will need to downgrade to 11.34.0.2 and apply the patch in order to use it. You could then reupgrade to 11.34.0.6. If you need help downgrading, please open a ticket and reference this post.

19. RomulusJ

RomulusJ Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I am getting this exact issue but my agency is to the best of my knowledge NOT using cpanel. I would know as I am the IT Support for the agency

Facts of the situation
    We moved ISPs the day of this started.
    We use Microsoft Exchange wit access via web mail
    Our former ISP and still our email provider is Smart Systems for Heath (eHealth - Ontario Government Health Ministry)
    I've talked with our Email provider extensively and they have no idea what is causing this.
    If we hit allow our web configuration settings are deleted and I have to go in and literally delete all email setting and reset the account and warn staff never ever ever hit allow. This is getting old....
    We started on the same day of the ISP change using a SONICWALL firewall. No one seems to understand why this is occurring and are happily passing the buck., We're a modest Housing and Case Management Non-profit dealing with Mental Health and Addictions and so far I've had to spend literally over 80 hours working on this and pay people to look into this. I now am at the stage of coming here and going hoping people here can help.

This is an extremely frustrating and time consuming problem that I can't fix.

20. dwykofka

Look at the DNS records for your domain and remove the autodiscover bits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.