The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autodiscover for Mail.app and so on?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Lucas, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

I've enabled as specified in the support pages and checked that DNS entries are correctly set, but I still can't get Mail.app to automatically configure the account with the name, email and pass, it'll ask for it to be manually configured. What else are we supposed to make sure that is working?

#1 Lucas, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I did read that page, which was what I meant with the support pages. :) Unfortunately, that still doesn't help me. I guess you'd be correct, from what I'm guessing this feature should usually work with most third-party email clients, such as Apple's Mail app and Thunderbird, but it won't do auto discovering, having to make users go through the whole adding (mail.domain.com, user@domain.com, pass, repeat for outgoing) process, which sadly most people don't understand easily.

Am I actually doing a feature request here or should this work as I'm saying? All the options were enabled in Tweak settings and DNS zones seem to be correctly setup.

Edit: Checked with thunderbird and it seems to work. I guess this feature is not supported by the Mail app or iOS, more than anything to make it simpler on customers...

#3 Lucas, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, as far as I know, the Mail application on OSX only supports autodiscovery for Exchange servers. I don't believe it supports that functionality for other types of email protocols.

Thank you.