The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autodiscovery

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mhofer, May 12, 2013.

1. mhofer

mhofer Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there

I have just upgraded to cPanel 11.38 to test the new features, one thing is the new autodiscover-feature for email.

what i want to achieve is that our customer with domain example.com can enter john@example.com in his mail client and automatically receives the following configuration:
    IMAP: servername.ourhost.com, SSL
    SMTP: servername.ourhost.com, SSL

Now i have enabled the new features (AutoConfigure and AutoDiscover and _AutoDiscover set) in whm while changing the 'host to publish srv records' to servername.ourhost.com.

of course we have a wildcard certificate installed for ourhost.com.
    the SRV records get created successfully, however when i test the autodiscover-feature in thunderbird with john@example.com a get the following settings:
    IMAP: ourhost.com, SSL
    SMTP: ourhost.com, SSL
    Which is incorrect. I also changed the hostname in /var/cpanel/ssl/dovecot-CN and /var/cpanel/ssl/exim-CN with no effect.

also there is no host setup under servername.ourhost.com which could provide the required XML-Files for autodiscovery, don't know where it currently gets the information from oO
    Changing the certificates-name is not possible either, it just uses the default entry in the certificate (ourhost.com).

I hope this was clear and someone can point me in the right direction?

Regards,
    Marcel

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That setting changes the server mentioned in the SRV record, not the actual mail server value. In other words, it changes where the mail client is told to look for the settings, not the actual settings. By default, cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net is the server in the SRV record, but if you have an SSL certificate installed on a virtual host, you can override that setting.

3. mhofer

mhofer Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Jared

Thanks for your reply. As you know I also opened a support ticket on this case which was now solved.

For anyone wondering: If you want to use the new autodiscover feature, you have to set up that xml file manually - the setting does nothing but creating the dns-entries.

I am currently working on a solution and will report back.

Greets