Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Automated email headaches - Help!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by siclik, Jul 30, 2009.

1. siclik

siclik Registered

Hello,

I've been having some trouble over the past 6 months receiving a handful of automated emails on our server. I thought maybe one of you could point me in the right direction.

A few months ago I posted this on Ask Metafilter; here is that thread if you'd like to bone up on the issue:

Wait a minute Mr. Postman! | Ask Metafilter

I've looked through the logs and still cannot figure out why we're not getting certain automated emails. Today, for example, I should have received an email from notify@ooma.com but I never did (should have received it within the last hour).

Oddly enough, if I have Ooma email my Gmail address instead, and then have Gmail automatically forward the email onto my exim address, the email is successfully delivered. i.e.:

---------------------------------------
    [Ooma emails -> me@exim.com (email not delivered)]
    [Ooma emails -> me@gmail.com --forward--> me@exim.com (successfully delivered)]

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. siclik

siclik Registered

Solved

After months of frustration, I finally discovered that is is bad programming on behalf of the Ooma website.

Tinkering around with it for a while, I discovered that it only saved my email notification preferences if I logged out and logged back in after modifying them.

Very frustrating because I spoke to their technical support team months ago for hours trying to figure out why I wasn't getting notifications. They attested that emails WERE being sent to me, so it must be a problem with my server that they weren't being received.

Everyone's so quick to blame someone else - turns out emails weren't being sent all along!