Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Automatically monitor error logs and send email for fatal errors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WorkinOnIt, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use a variety of monitors to check for website uptime and server uptime e.g. uptime robot, monitis etc. These work great if e.g. server down or website 500 server error - or other network related issues where the server or site response is not pingable.

However, if a single website experiences a Fatal Error - for example, an automated software upgrade happens (e.g. a wordpress update) which then introduces a fatal error in the website code (e.g due to a plugin code conflict or similar) - leading to the White Screen of Death (WSOD) on the website, then none of these monitors will alert me - because technically, the site is still up and pingable. But of course, the site is not "up" on the front end and invariably, this will usually lead to a call or email from a client asking "why is my website offline?"

So - looking for suggestions please. What service / services exist for Apache or Linux - either via cPanel or other - that can monitor / scan e.g. the error_log for the various websites on the server and alert me if a fatal error shows up?

I have found this Wordpress plugin, but I really want to do this at the server level, not at individual level: wordpress.org/plugins/error-log-monitor/

I would love to install something at the server admin level - rather than at each individual website - however, I don't think website fatal errors show up in apache/logs/error_log - but they do of course, in the individual site error_log.

The closest I can find is a cron script - does anyone have any experience or luck with it? looklinux.com/cron-script-to-monitor-php-error-fatal-warning-and-notice-on-email/

I also found this one: octopussy.pm/

What about Nagios? Would that be able to achieve the above?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

#1 WorkinOnIt, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's currently no feature in cPanel/WHM that will monitor the error logs and notify you when fatal website appears appear. I encourage you to open a feature request if this is something you'd like to see added to the product:

Submit A Feature Request

I'll leave this thread open for user-feedback from anyone else with custom solutions that may help you.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...