Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatically whitelist known mobile device providers?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tudorh, Aug 15, 2017.

1. tudorh

tudorh Member

I think I understand this switch in a historical sense. Once upon a time it was common to send direct to your SMTP server. Setup was limited and data costed alot, so whitelisting mobile providers meant that your phone or laptop (with its limited costly data) was not really a risk to you being spammed.

But then some telco's tried to be good netizens and blocked port 25 to anywhere other than their own SMTP servers. I would have thought that this option would be defunct at that point.

Since then, it's become far more common to use a secure method to send mail, and we also have autoconfiguring which *always* recommends you send via the CPanel server securely by default.

It's far more common to get infected mobile devices than it used to be also. That, combined with higher and cheaper data plans would make mobile devices a legitimate target for relaying spam.

So why does this option exist and why is it "on" by default? Is it purely a hangover from the past or is there another reason why mobile device providers are so secure that they should be allowed to bypass our usual checks?

2. Tearabite

Tearabite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Because (for all my servers) it prevents/solves far more problems then it creates.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Here's some more information about the "Automatically whitelist known mobile device providers" option from our Exim Configuration Manager document:

Thus, by default, it's only whitelisting IP addresses associated with Blackberry devices.

Thank you.