The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automating cpanel backup at client level, not administrator level

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Mar 15, 2011.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there everyone,

I've moved some sites from a dedicated machine hosted by GoDaddy to a VPS hosted my InMotion. With GoDaddy, I was able to backup all accounts to remote FTP automatedly via the admin panel. The feature is completely missing from the InMotion VPS. A feature is available in the client panel to generate or restore a backup, but nothing to automate the generation.

Is there a way I could automate the backup of clients accounts through cron? I would really like to be able to save multiple daily copies like I was able to with GoDaddy, but would settle for almost anything right now. After speaking to InMotion about this issue, I have no trust in my data being restored by them if something were to go awry.

Any help or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have WHM access? Is that access the root level user access? If so, there is not any WHM > Backup > Configure Backup area there? The root user should have a Configure Backup option that allows backup automation.

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your help!

They have not given me root access in WHM. Instead, I log in with limited access and many features are missing from what I'm used to being in WHM. I don't have any of the links regarding backups when logged into :2087.

4. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Any suggestions at all?

thanks,
    json

5. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

For future dudes or dudettes that have the same problem and find the community to be as helpful to them as they were to me, I've found a band-aid that doesn't resolve my problem completely but gets me by.

I'm using this script to ftp a automated backup to another server. Of course, if I don't log in and delete them every once in a while, I stockpile them until I run out of space. I'm working on writing a script to run via cron on the destination server that will delete files in the directory that are older than x-days. If anyone has interest in it, I'd be happy to share it with you once it's done.

Because that's what being part of a support community is about.... right?