The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autoresponders and SPAM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cwihost, Nov 21, 2005.

1. cwihost

cwihost Member

I have a couple users who are using autoresponders to reply to their clients. However as most can imagine these email addresses got hit with a bunch of spam and the autoresponder kicked out to these forged email addresses causing the mail server to get listed.

My question is, what is the best thing to do or that can be done regarding this type of problem especially when users insist on using auto responders. Obviously we do not want to have to always have the server unblocked. Do you just not allow autoresponders to be used?

I would appreciate anyones feedback.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

These days, auto-responders are generally a very bad idea for the reasons that you've found. If users insist on using them you might want to look at a server-side anti-virus and anti-spam solution that lets you delete anything that's likely to be spam before it hits the autoresponder.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Is there a quick way to scan the system to see who has autoresponders set on ?. Is there a common file or folder were it is or is it all stored in each domains private "/home" directories ?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

IIRC, you'll find them in /etv/valiases/*:

grep autorespond /etc/valiases/*

5. cwihost

cwihost Member

Chirpy,

Are you referring to something like MailScanner or Exiscan. We currently run Exiscan, ClamAv, and SpamAssassin. Do you recommend a better combination?
    We had used MailScanner before but was too resource intensive.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I am. We've found that with the advent of spamassassin v3.1.0 that MailScanner doesn't usually take up more reasources that spamd does on a normal server that isn't already overloaded. All a matter of preference, really :)