Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AutoSSL and CAA Records

Discussion in 'Security' started by royce, May 7, 2019.

1. royce

royce Registered

I recently had a similar issue. I discovered that I had a general CAA record that only covered Let's Encrypt, and the service cert auto-renewal was silently failing because there was no more-specific CAA record for the service hostname that allowed Comodo/Sectigo to issue the requisite cert.

I think it would be good for the cPanel service-certificate area to check for insufficient CAA coverage and report it in the UI as an error condition.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @royce

The presence of a CAA record valid or invalid I believe is now reported in the AutoSSL logs this process though is a bit different for the hostname certificate. As a general rule if there is a CAA record for another provider it will exclude Sectigo but the lack of a CAA record should not prevent you from receiving a certificate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...