AutoSSL certificate expiry messages after server migration

mgreis

Jan 22, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm getting certificate expiry notifications from cPanel after migrating to a new server. I've checked the AutoSSL logs on the new server, and I have valid SSL certificates for those sites.

I thought this could be due to requests from the previous server (still live, but no longer managing those domains). Looking more closely, it appears the messages may simply be referring to the last certificate generated by the old server. For example, I get this message in a cPanel email:

----
domain.org: The SSL certificate expires on Mar 28, 2020 at 12:00:00 AM UTC. At the time of this notice, the certificate will expire in “3 days, 19 hours, and 21 seconds”.

The SSL certificate for “domain.org” has not been renewed. You must take action to secure this site.
----

Yet the AutoSSL on the new server shows that

----
6:59:03 AM Analyzing “domainuser”’s domains …
6:59:03 AM Analyzing “domain.org” …
6:59:03 AM SUCCESS TLS Status: OK
Certificate expiry: 5/29/20, 12:00 AM UTC (65.54 days from now)
6:59:03 AM SUCCESS This user’s SSL coverage is already optimal.
----

Are the non-renewal e-mails just an artifact of the certificate previously acquired on the old server? Or is there some action I need to take?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Looking more closely, it appears the messages may simply be referring to the last certificate generated by the old server. For example, I get this message in a cPanel email:
Are these messages, in fact, originating from the new server or the old server?

mgreis

Jan 22, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are these messages, in fact, originating from the new server or the old server?
they appear to be coming from the new server. That’s also where the IP points - any reference to those domains resolved to that server. Earlier this week, I also turned off the auto SSL notification on the old server, just to be certain.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
When you go to the domain or check the domain's certificate do you see the expiring one or a new one? It seems odd that it wouldn't automatically renew these if they were issued by AutoSSL