Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AutoSSL DEPTH_ZERO_SELF_SIGNED_CERT in every new addon domain or subdomain

Discussion in 'Security' started by Konstantinos X, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Konstantinos X

Konstantinos X Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I am very happy about the AutoSSL feature , but yesterday I tried to add an addon domain and run autossl for all users after that and got (from the log):
    3:31:38 PM Analyzing “subdomain.domain.com” …
    3:31:38 PM ERROR TLS Status: Defective
    Certificate expiry: 12/29/19, 11:55 AM UTC (364.93 days from now)
    ERROR Defect: OPENSSL_VERIFY: The certificate chain failed OpenSSL’s verification (0:18:DEPTH_ZERO_SELF_SIGNED_CERT).

checking the certificate seems that it is self signed , (all the other certificates generated through AutoSSL are signed through a CPANEL chain by Comodo). I tried to erase the addon domain and add it again but the same happened.

And also tried to add an irrelevant new subdomain and the same thing happened. So this is not only for that addon domain but for everything new subdomain / addon domain, that makes it a really serious issue.

This happens for every new addon domain and subdomain I add , my old ones are ok. I even tried to have Jailed Shell in Manage Shell Access for that account as one thread implied but with no luck.

Thank you in advance for your response.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Konstantinos X

When you run AutoSSL for the first time, on a domain that doesn't have an SSL certificate this output seems normal as it would fail verification of having a certificate initially. When the actual SSL check completes is the subdomain issued a certificate?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...