The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AutoSSL error: failed domain control validation

Discussion in 'Security' started by GoWilkes, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tried running AutoSSL for the first time last night, and today the log has dozens of errors that are virtually identical, except for the domain name:

Code:
    3:38:03 AM WARN The domain “example.com” failed domain control validation: The content “28” of the <abbr title="Domain Control Validation">DCV</abbr> file, as accessed at “<a href="http://example.com/12483.BIN_AUTOSSL_CHECK_PL__.OwuUf5uN.cpaneldcv">http://example.com/12483.BIN_AUTOSSL_CHECK_PL__.OwuUf5uN.cpaneldcv</a>”, did not match the expected value. at bin/autossl_check.pl line 540.
    No cert was created for any of the domains, and there's currently no temp file (although I guess it could have been created and deleted). These are all just regular accounts created through cPanel.

As far as I can tell, AutoSSL created 48 certificates, and gave this error on 93 accounts (which includes subdomains).

I'm using WHM 60.0 (build 32), if that makes a difference.

TIA!

#1 GoWilkes, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The error message suggests the domain validation process is failing. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look to see what's happening? Feel free to post the ticket number here and we can make sure this thread is updated with the outcome.

Thank you.

3. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's supposed to run again automatically at 3:38am, so I'll see if the next run does the same thing. If so, I'll submit a ticket, and if not then I'll update. Thanks, Michael!

4. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, as an update, it looks like tonight's iteration fixed a lot of the errors. Not all, but a lot of them. Now I'm seeing a lot of different errors, but I'm thinking that maybe they'll fix themselves on the next run, too.

So before I create a ticket, I think I'll let it just sit in the corner and think about what it's done for a few days. If it still hasn't learned it's lesson, I'll turn it in.

Thanks again, Michael!

cPanelMichael likes this.