AutoSSL: exclude parent domain - will renewal work?

chuckcintron

May 17, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
All I need is for the www subdomain to be AutoSSL/validated. So, I am manually setting all domains to be excluded from AutoSSL, with the exception of www.

This means I am excluding the parent domain.

My testing indicates that AutoSSL will still get a certificate for the domain, and www ends up being validated. It does give the 'canned' message however:

Expires on October 8, 2018. The certificate will renew via AutoSSL when the parent domain “example.com” renews.

My question: Will the www subdomain renew automatically (and successfully), even if I have marked the parent domain to be excluded from AutoSSL?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @chuckcintron

The process assumes you'll be renewing the certificate with the parent domain but as long as the DCV process is able to complete the certificate should be renewed.

Thanks!

chuckcintron

May 17, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
thank you @cPanelLauren

But I really want to be sure about this. Is there any way (other than waiting 90 days to see if my many domains renew) to get a level of confidence that AutoSSL will try to DCV and renew the www domain, since it is marked "enabled" -- even if the parent domain is marked "disabled"?

It's either this answer or my other thread that is still 'in progress' In Progress - [CPANEL-21489] autoSSL DCV to www instead of base domain?

...I have to get to the point where I am confident this entire long-pole part of the process will actually work when the time comes.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @chuckcintron

The other thread is still in progress - I did check up on it and they have not answered the inquiry as of yet though it is in on their radar.

For this, if the initial request goes through automatically (which it did on my test server) you can be confident subsequent checks including renewals will. I don't, unfortunately, have a way to prove this further.