AutoSSL for domain alias?

lukekenny

Jan 24, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a cPanel with one primary domain, and a secondary domain configured as a domain alias.

The primary domain uses Gmail and is configured as such. The secondary domain uses cPanel email.

The account is set to use AutoSSL. A certificate is generated that covers all subdomains in the primary domain, but only some of the subdomains for the secondary domain (www and mail)

AutoSSL does not seem to want to add webmail.secondarydomain.com to the certificate. It does not appear in the AutoSSL management page in WHM, and it does not appear in the list of subdomains shown in SSL/TLS Status in cPanel.

I logged a ticket with our supplier BuycPanel.com, and they have responded:
Please note that proxy subdomain can be added only to the primary domain. When adding a new alias (parked domain) on top of an existing domain name on a cPanel account, the AutoSSL feature will only detect the new alias during the next scheduled AutoSSL check and it's corresponding subdomains (e.g. mail.newalias.tld) and NOT for webmail.

You cannot add the cpanel, whm, or webmail proxy subdomains for addon or parked domains (aliases). You can only add cpcontacts, cpcalendar, and webdisk proxy subomains to addon and parked domains (aliases).
Is that correct? If so, why? It doesn't make any sense!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @lukekenny,

ServerAlias entries for Service Subdomains are not added to the Apache VirtualHost configurations for domains added to cPanel as Aliases. This is to avoid a high number of ServerAlias entries requiring valid SSL certificates in Apache.

I recommend opening a feature request if you'd like to see a change to the current behavior:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.