The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AutoSSL is skipping cPanel which domain is pointed on different server

Discussion in 'Security' started by postcd, Nov 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Hello,

i have an cPanel account which main domain is pointed/resolve to different server.

But an A record for the subdomain (subdomain.mydomain.com) is pointed on this server.

I want to apply valid (non self signed) free SSL to this subdomain, because this subdomain is used as my WHM server hostname.

AutoSSL says "The domain “mydomain.com” resolved to an IP address “otherserveriphere” that does not exist on this server. at bin/autossl_check.pl line 512."

Currently https://subdomain.mydomain.com:2087 works nice, because there is applied service based SSL certificate (WHM/.../Manage service SSL certificates), but https://subdomain.mydomain.com is using self signed SSL currently and that is bad. I would like "AutoSSL" to apply free certificate on it, what is the way to do it? I already activated LetsEncrypt in AutoSSL by running "/scripts/install_lets_encrypt_autossl_provider".

Thank you

2. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

This was said to me:

Anyone knows what is meant by "There is also a free hostname SSL that will cover the hostname of the server", is it mean WHM/Service Configuration/Manage Service SSL Certificates ?
    Yes, it works for WHM, but not for hostname in my case. I assume i will have to try disabling cloudflare and try AutoSSL again if i succeed for this subdomain/hostname.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

That's in reference to the information documented ta:

Manage Service SSL Certificates - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

However, one issue I'd like to bring up is that it's not advised to use your server's hostname as a domain name or subdomain under one of the accounts. Instead, I suggest making the hostname a FQDN such as "server1.domain.tld", and then setting up the subdomain you want to use for website hosting with SSL as it's own separate cPanel account.

Thank you.