Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AutoSSL Log Warnings On Addon Domain That Used To Be a Main Domain

Discussion in 'Security' started by linux4me2, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. linux4me2

linux4me2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a domain, let's call it "problemdomain.com" that was originally the main domain for a cPanel account, but now is an addon domain for another domain I will call "maindomain.com."

I recently enabled AutoSSL for maindomain.com, and AutoSSL successfully installed the SSL certificate for maindomain.com and problemdomain.com; however, in the AutoSSL log each night I get this:
    Obviously, the subdomains cpanel.problemdomain.com and webmail.problemdomain.com don't exist since problemdomain.com is an addon domain and not a cPanel account main domain, so they don't resolve.

My question is whether the warnings for the missing cpanel and webmail subdomains are normal behavior for AutoSSL with addon domains, and I should just ignore the warnings, or is AutoSSL attempting to add SSL coverage for the cpanel and webmail subdomains because something is left over from when problemdomain.com was a cPanel account main domain? If it's the latter, how can I fix it?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Actually, you can use proxy subdomains (e.g. cpanel.domain.tld) with addon domain names. If the entries do not exist, you can add them with the following command:

Code:
    /scripts/proxydomains add --domain=addon-domain.tld
    Thank you.

3. linux4me2

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I may not have been clear in my question. I'm not trying to access cPanel or Webmail with, for example, "cpanel.problemdomain.com." I'm asking if the fact that problemdomain.com used to be a main domain accounts for the warnings in the AutoSSL log, and, if so, how to fix it so they don't appear in the log. If the warnings are normal for addon domains with AutoSSL, I can just ignore them, but I wanted to fix them if they are due to a leftover configuration.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    linux4me2 likes this.
  5. linux4me2

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's what I needed to know. Now I can comfortably ignore them; I was just wondering if something was left behind from when the domain was a main domain. I voted for the feature request. Thanks! You can mark this one solved.

cPanelMichael likes this.