Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AutoSSL not resolving to any ipv4 adress for certain domains

Discussion in 'Security' started by JGSEO, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JGSEO

JGSEO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there !
    First of, I would like to point out that I'm french so I do apologize in advance for any misunderstandings that may occur.

So, my issue is simple : I own a CentOS 6.10 VPS running on WHM/ cPanel (v72.0.12) which I got from OVH. I've been quite familiar with the AutoSSL feature and haven't had a problem with it until just recently.

Because of a reason that I do not comprehend, AutoSSL seems to not be working for certain domains/accounts while working for others. I tried to find the cause but was unable to do so.

While checking the logs for the domains failing DCV, it is always the same message :

[removed due to inclusion of real domain name]

Using tools such as whatsmydns and after checking the DNS zone for that account, I'm pretty sure that domain does actually resolve to the good IP address, but for whatever reasons Comodo / Let's Encrypt fail each and everytime.

I have this issue on 4 different accounts with no correlation be it IP-wise, tld-wise or settings-wise.

I'ld very much appreciate any help because those domains are quite important and do require SSL certificates in order for me to use them.

Thank you.

#1 JGSEO, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @JGSEO

This sounds like a DNS related issue. The domains in question, do they all share the same IP address or are they all on the same IP (working or non working)

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JGSEO

JGSEO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi !

Thank you for your answer.

The (presently) 4 non-working domains are on 4 different IPs.

Two of those domains are on IPs hosting some accounts that actually passed the DCV, which is very weird.

I tried using Dedicated IPs and shared IPs for the failing domains, and it didn't solve the issue.

I've submitted a support ticket if you have the time to check it out : 10233031 (not sure if I was suppose to do it already though, sorry if I wasn't)

Thanks again !

#3 JGSEO, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @JGSEO

Thank you for the update and for letting us know you opened a ticket. I've found the ticket and I'm currently watching it for updates. At this point, it's probably best and most efficient to follow the ticket. I'll update this thread with the resolution.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @JGSEO

I just checked in on your ticket and it would appear the issue is related to your server being able to connect to the provider's nameservers. Based on the response in the ticket you noted you'll be checking in with your provider. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to be of assistance once you hear back from them.

Thanks!

6. JGSEO

JGSEO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Indeed, my server was not able to connect to two specific nameservers from OVH, namely dns112.ovh.net and ns112.ovh.net, thus AutoSSL failing DCV.

For testing purposes I tried using the Google Cloud nameservers and the DCV went on without any errors.

So I guess for me the issue is fixed, though I'll keep you guys updated if and when those two nameservers are good to go. (probably a firewall issue or misconfiguration ).

In anycase you guys' help was top notch, so thanks alot !!

cPanelLauren likes this.
  7. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @JGSEO

Thank you for the update and I'm glad to hear you were able to get the DCV completed!